Casting: T4XN Verses the Baja

Started by Rivverrat, October 27, 2018, 11:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

That's exactly what I was asking, Jeff. I've sen some people try to compare apples to apples with rigs that were so different that they were really comparing apples to giraffes! Of course one would cast further.

The way I see it, if your looking for best distance between two similar class reels, say a Mak and an Avet 2 speed of similar capacity and drag range then you should load them with the same line and use the EXACT same rod. Otherwise, other differences in the whole rig might mask any advantage one reel as over the other.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Ron Jones on October 29, 2018, 01:16:52 AM
That's exactly what I was asking, Jeff. I've sen some people try to compare apples to apples with rigs that were so different that they were really comparing apples to giraffes! Of course one would cast further.

The way I see it, if your looking for best distance between two similar class reels, say a Mak and an Avet 2 speed of similar capacity and drag range then you should load them with the same line and use the EXACT same rod. Otherwise, other differences in the whole rig might mask any advantage one reel as over the other.

Ron

X2 on this. Though I think the Okuma Makaira and Avet 2 speeds are not in the same class. The Raptors are closer in a match to the Makaira's for the smaller reels under the 30 Avet and 20 Okuma

Rivverrat

These reels are of course different. Both seeing some refinement in different areas of their build over a regular stock 4/0.

Mainly I was just curious if the lighter spool of the T4 would overcome the Bajas disconnecting pinion, with spool being fully supported by bearings.

For my use with heavy line it appears both are capable casters for their size. In fact they both compare well with other reels of recent design.

The fishing I do I don't feel like I'm fishing a lesser reel with the T4 with its 3.25:1 gears. Same goes for my
Baja / US113 reels.

However I say this knowing my three 2 speed reels will always have a solid place in my arsenal... Jeff

thorhammer

I'm still waiting the day where I'm into a fish that makes a full 4/0 hotrod a "lesser" reel...Dominick has caught marlin on the Tank with 100lb braid....

swill88

Quote from: Rivverrat on October 28, 2018, 01:44:19 AM
Quote from: swill88 on October 28, 2018, 01:07:21 AM
Very nice cinema work.
The suspense generated is a tribute to Hitchcock.
Thanks!

Steve

Sorry about that. I was experiencing technical difficulties... Jeff

Getting compared to Hitchcock is nothing but a complement.  I enjoyed your video Jeff.
Steve

Rivverrat

Steve, its all good you made me laugh... Jeff

Rivverrat

Quote from: thorhammer on October 29, 2018, 03:10:38 AM
I'm still waiting the day where I'm into a fish that makes a full 4/0 hotrod a "lesser" reel...Dominick has caught marlin on the Tank with 100lb braid....

My comment came based on my on going surprise of people, some whom I respect & turn to for their thoughts & advice on gear & fishing in general. But am amazed when I hear what they think of reels such as the Baja / US113.

Don't bother bringing up a hot rodded 4/0.... Jeff

Cor

Your videos won't load here in my end of the woods.   Judging by the  "reviews" they are a must see!   
Ill try again later.
Cornelis

Ron Jones

The Tank seems to be one of those magically symbiotic specimens assembled by a master that performs beyond reason when played like a Stradivarius by a wizard of his craft!

All BS aside, I am also a little tired of hearing how things that were world class a brief moment in time ago are now worthless. I've caught fish on a YTS that most fishermen dream about maybe once in their lives having the opportunity to catch (I realize that anything I've caught isn't all that special for many on here.)

After these last 2 trips to Mexico, I do see where there is a place for 2 speed lever drag wonder reels, but my heart will always go back to what worked for my grandfather.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

thorhammer

Agree...you don't have to search hard to find grander fish decades back on Senators, which were VERY likely to be bone stock with three piece spools, leather  / asbestos drags, and dacron. Sure, modern two-speed and braid with a 21st century composite rod makes a smaller-lighter combo...but there were some really large BFT, billfish, tigers, GWS, mako's and the world record hammerhead (1200 lbs or so) caught on Senators...

Hot-rodded by Daron, yes, but our own Mike beasted a tiger over 12ft from a pier last year on a 16/0 and a massive boat rod that was made for anything BUT stand-up fishing...yet, he did....

Sal got 75lbs of drag on a 9/0. Try holding on to that standing up in pitching boat...

alantani

you know, for me, the thing that has always made the biggest difference in my casting?  yup, it's the rod.......   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on October 28, 2018, 05:19:00 AM

............ I hope I'm understanding & not giving a meaningless explanation of what I was attempting here. Which was nothing more than trying to establish an answer to satisfy my curiosity... Jeff

for me thats enough LOL, I like to made tons of "what if.." test on my rigs, with different weights, rods, lines most of them are against "the fishing rules" so, they are mostly to satisfy my curiosity and self teaching.

Quote from: Rivverrat on October 29, 2018, 01:18:53 PM
My comment came based on my on going surprise of people, some whom I respect & turn to for their thoughts & advice on gear & fishing in general but am amazed when I hear what they think of reels such as the Baja / US113.
  Don't bother bringing up a hot rodded 4/0.... Jeff

since I saw Randy coming with this idea of the XN kit of the 113h I saw it as a "MUST HAVE" toys for my arnseal with its light and narrow spool with with the tons of current upgrades it for tons of power on a small package.
glad to see you taking the time for this tests that make me feel that I wasnt wrong on my expectations, somehow the overal and simplicity construction of the 113h will outlast the many moving parts and bearings of the Baja.
I have two YTS reels with alloy sideplates and Tib frame but never were goto reels (being a tackle ho didnt help also), in other side the T4nx its a smaller and lighter fun reel to fish with and since built with have gone fishing with me and all my trips, along with the Baja and Mak15.

The Baja Guy

MarkT

A Tanked out T4XN still costs more than an Avet HXJ Raptor.  Me?  I'd rather fish the HXJ Raptor!  You could still be driving  a 40 Ford like your granddaddy but I bet you don't.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

A smaller 2 speed reel is a must have for me and Baja. The only real I bring down with me as an Avet JX 2 speed. Of course I have other reels down in Baja but I always bring the JX with me. It is a fine 40 lb test reel and l have caught  Monsters with it including Marlin and sailfish

MarkT

A JX Raptor is what I used last month at Cedros.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!