Casting: T4XN Verses the Baja

Started by Rivverrat, October 27, 2018, 11:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Had some free time went out to do do some initial casting for distance using these two reels.

Fellas, sorry having trouble posting the video. I'm working on getting it sorted... Jeff

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14HLXAXHKLWk9STyl2FEAE_hzyckeh8t6/view?usp=sharing

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Ron Jones

The way I see it, the two reels have different roles. The Baja has a bigger spool with capacity for higher test line. It also has a pinion that disconnects from the spool when out of gear. I know it casts like a dream, but it does better with heavier bates like reaaly big sardines, or better yet mackerel. The T4XN has a lighter spool and reduced capacity. I haven't used it yet but I'd bet the lighter spool has the advantage over the disconnecting pinion when it comes to lighter baits.
The T4XN may be the best star drag for bigger (25-40 pound) schoolie YT out there when running 60# braid and a 40 top shot. The Baja comes out when you are into tuna bigger than a shibi or into once in a lifetime yellowtail.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Rivverrat

Ron Jones

Hey, you flipped them around!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

swill88

Very nice cinema work.
The suspense generated is a tribute to Hitchcock.
Thanks!

Steve

Darin Crofton

Nice, now go catch some big cats bud!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Rivverrat

Quote from: Ron Jones on October 28, 2018, 12:51:51 AM
Hey, you flipped them around!
The Man

;D No it's a different pic

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AXwVSl5JcKo2sovYM7cp6F8jnuQEpCYM/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KLMR8F-cSWHc4uo81Qvz-uwwQQ5l3KRP/view?usp=sharing

Rivverrat

Quote from: swill88 on October 28, 2018, 01:07:21 AM
Very nice cinema work.
The suspense generated is a tribute to Hitchcock.
Thanks!

Steve

Sorry about that. I was experiencing technical difficulties... Jeff

Rivverrat

Ok it was getting dark & cold & my phone's battery was getting low..... I made two casts with the T4 where I laid into it a little harder.  Both casts went 99 steps. Two casts from the Baja with both meashuring some   80   odd steps.

However the Baja has 100 yard topshot of 60 mono the T4 topshot was much shorter. So next time I expect I'll be a better caster with both reels & will have the same length topshot on both.

This was fun... Jeff

Ron Jones

So,
Here's a loaded question. When comparing rigs like this, is it appropriate to load both of them with the exact same line or should they be compared as they'd be fished?
Same for rods?
Just food for thought.
The Man
Ronald Jones
"

Rivverrat

Quote from: Ron Jones on October 28, 2018, 05:05:31 AM
So,
Here's a loaded question. When comparing rigs like this, is it appropriate to load both of them with the exact same line or should they be compared as they'd be fished?
Same for rods?
Just food for thought.
The Man

Ron, this is how I plan to fish them. Both with100 braid & 60 - 80 mono topshots. I dont need that much capacity.  

The objective was to see if one cast noticeably better than the other regardless of the supposed pluses one reel might have over the other. I was not attempting to find the ultimate distance either of these reels could cast.

The type of casts made were the same used if one where tossing a live bait. I was in no way swinging for the fences on any of my casts made during this time.

But if some one tested as you suggest spooling them with differeing weight line, using different rods there would of course be a noticable difference. With them both seemingly  at this point close in their respective casting performance using the same weight line.

Ron, I hope I'm understanding & not giving a meaningless explanation of what I was attempting here. Which was nothing more than trying to establish an answer to satisfy my curiosity... Jeff

thorhammer

Either way, that's some impressive distance with 4/0 class reels, and I know you are using shorter rods than what might be done with, say a 12'-13' ulua rod. Good work.

Rivverrat

You know I'm very happy with the distance. They cast as far as a person would realisticly want toss a live bait  haveing it stay lively on hook... Jeff,