general useage of loctite?

Started by hafnor, September 01, 2011, 01:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafnor

as the title says. Is there any point of using loctite on screws? I have seen many reels with loctite on the screws under the reel foot and other parts. Anyone use loctite? and if that is the case, where?

best regards, Thor

alantani

for me, no.  i had a tube and threw it away.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

Generally speaking, Alan's right.
However, I've done a few larger reels (50/80W Internationals etc) that are only used for trolling, rarely get a service and are a long way from assistance if something goes wrong (ie spend most of their time in the middle of the Indian Ocean).
In such cases, I'll use a low-grade Loctite product to give me peace of mind that parts like the ratchet plate and/or drag plate won't rattle loose over time.
Other than that, I never use it.
Righto, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

hafnor

thanks for the replie.I will then throw away my loctite. I saw that JM reels had loctite on the screws for the dogs, that is why I wondered. I get your point thoughredsetta, but I fish halibut sometimes here in Norway and a tiagra 50 or bigger isn't actually the tools for the job...

wallacewt

when you change handles loctite seems to be the only answer to stop the nut unwinding.how do you folk do it?

alantani

i bear down on the nut or screw until it is vein popping tight.  they will usually stay in place.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

cloudman

I generally use it on roller guides on my trolling rods

coastalobsession

Lock tite is primary good for screws that are pron to coming loose in a reel. I dont personally use it.
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

Dominick

Quote from: alantani on September 02, 2011, 03:46:14 AM
i bear down on the nut or screw until it is vein popping tight.  they will usually stay in place.  alan
Alan:  you are a lightweight.  When I bear down on a screw like that there is a cracking sound.  Stainless are too brittle.  It is easier to use loctite.  I posted the story about my Penn International 50 vxw and Dawn's aluminum handle.  I was using the reel for Tuna and Marlin in the Sea of Cortez out of Cabo San Lucas.  The handle came loose and put the reel up for the day because it would not tighten.  That evening I tried to find loctite and could not find it or a similar product anywhere.  In desperation, I bought clear nail polish and tried that.  The next day my pal Joe hooks into a nice Tuna and the handle came loose again.  I got out the phillips head screw driver and tightened it with the fish on.  Then Joe would give the handle a few turns and I would have to tighten it again.  This was done all the while Joe ragged on me about my reel maintenance acumen.  Well I was laughing and tightening at the same time.  It was funny but I returned home and used loctite.  I used it during the tournament and caught several Tuna.  It worked flawlessly.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

targetdrone

Old thread but worth adding to. There are different grades of threadlock. (Permanent, removable,  press fit assist, sealing, etc) Just as you would match a reel to type and size of fish, you should use the proper product.  Heck, you already do it for grease and oil.

Mandelstam

Quote from: targetdrone on August 21, 2013, 06:46:46 AM
Old thread but worth adding to. There are different grades of threadlock. (Permanent, removable,  press fit assist, sealing, etc) Just as you would match a reel to type and size of fish, you should use the proper product.  Heck, you already do it for grease and oil.

I've never used the stuff before. Can you maybe explain the differences between the different grades? Does permament mean PERMAMENT, like in using araldite or something?. And the other ones?

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Keta

Heat will break it down so the screws can be removed.  

For fishing reel use, and only for a few things, a small amount of Locktite 242 can be good.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Makule

I'm with Dominic on this issue.  I've stripped far too many screws and bolts in my lifetime trying to keep them from coming  off.  A little removable Loctite takes care of the handle coming off at an inappropriate time, but can be removed if needed.  I've never used the permanent Loctite, but have an application that I'm thinking of using it on, instead of the SS locking pins I've used in the past.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

targetdrone

Killerbug

Quote from: hafnor on September 01, 2011, 01:43:34 PM
as the title says. Is there any point of using loctite on screws? I have seen many reels with loctite on the screws under the reel foot and other parts. Anyone use loctite? and if that is the case, where?

best regards, Thor

Sometimes it can be necessary to fixate screws with loctite. Especially on parts that receives a lot of vibration. I use it uniquely to fasten bails, on larger spinning reels. 
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time