Cutting Drag washers from Delron

Started by Reel 224, November 01, 2018, 11:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Guys I have a roll of Delron and try cutting washers from it. NO luck. It cracked even when I heated with a hair dryer. Can someone help with my confusion ::) ???....................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

oldmanjoe

I am thinking a Dremal tool with bur bits or the little sanding drum .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
" Life " It`s a thinking man`s game
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Bryan Young

Sorry. All of the ones that were provided to be were wither water jet, laser, or stamped.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tiddlerbasher

I guess you mean Delrin/Acetyl - I stamp mine with a arbor press, no problem :-\

Reel 224

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on November 02, 2018, 02:00:47 AM
I guess you mean Delrin/Acetyl - I stamp mine with a arbor press, no problem :-\

Yes I do mean Delrin & I have a set of dies, also a Arbor Press. However I tried to cut them with Die and Punch by using a hammer. I found it to be very brittle. After heating it, it was a little better but still cracked.

I suppose I'll use The arbor press and heat. Water jet, laser or stamped sounds like it's a mystery to cut my own. I know Keith cuts his with dies, but I did not know the Delrin was so brittle.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Shark Hunter

Joe,
I cut my washers with a Cutter Head and Hammer. A cheap set. I crack every third or fourth one.
I just keep sharpening it as I go with a Diamond bit.
When I have the material. I can knock out three or four complete drag sets for a 12/0.
There is a curve with losing a few.
Sharp cutter and sharp blows on a log work for me.
Keith and Sal use top notch cutters that cost several hundred dollars.
I bought mine off ebay for $18.
I don't cut enough to justify the price or the press, but that is just me.
My garage is jam packed with automotive tools and I just don't have the space.

Life is Good!

swill88

Tiddlerbasher

Joe these are the cutters I use:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maun-Wad-Punch-Kit-Imperial/dp/B0001P0E14/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541157564&sr=8-1&keywords=maun+wad+punch
The centre 'spike' on these enables concentric cuts to be made. These wad cutters have paid for themselves several times over :)

The Arbor press was a cheapy off of fleabay - I reduced the length of the wad cutter handle/holder so it would fit the arbor press- and fitted a magnet to the arbor press shaft (so the cutter was held in place) one less hand needed ;)

I rarely get any splitting when punching cf. For delrin I use a lump of pipe for an extension handle (on the press). The delrin does split regularly but not too much. For a cutting surface I use a soft plastic chopping board - it helps preserve the cuting edges. To re-sharpen I use a mini grind stone and abrasive rubber wheels in a Dremel.

Reel 224

Thanks guys, I have a set of cutters and I can sharpen the cutters of my lathe and inside with my dremal tool. I gather from you guys the tool has to be extra sharp.

I'm on my way to Mystic Reel parts this morning to pick up some penn parts.........................Take care and thanks again...................Joe

RowdyW

Joe, I think the cutters should only be dressed on the outside not the inside.     Rudy

Tiddlerbasher

x2 - Just sharpen the outside. If you try to sharpen the inside it will produce a 'taper' where the washers can jam, it will also change the diameter of the cut. If you look at the inside of a cutter head it should be a parallel bore.

Reel 224

Yes I understand what you guys are telling me, I was just meaning to clean any bur from the inside. I could also accomplish that with my deburing tool. Thanks for the guidance I certainly appreciate you guy giving me a heads up.

Joe   

oc1

If you could punch the inside hole first then there would be the full sheet to keep it from cracking.  Trouble is, it would be very difficult to line up the punch for the outside,
-steve

Reel 224

I thought of that last night in bead  :D I thought I would make the out side with out punching it through so I had a pattern of the circle and then punch the inner circle like you pointed out. I still think you need heat also.

Joe   

Tiddlerbasher

OR use the same punch set like I do - Punch the outside first - then line up (with the centre marker) and punch the inner one simple ;)