Problem w/ 200 Surfmaster

Started by Recoil Rob, November 02, 2018, 11:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recoil Rob

I have a 200 I cleaned up but have run into a problem. I sometimes get spool drag, sometimes not. I have narrowed it down to this...

If I loosen up the left side bearing a couple turns and push the spool (metal) to the left everything works as it should when I crank the handle. If I push the spool to the right it drags when I turn the handle. It's a new spool so it's not bent.

As a matter of fact, with the left bearing loosened, if I hold the reel left side down the spool will spin freely but as soon as I turn it right side down the spool shifts over from gravity and binds.

Any ideas on how I screwed this up?

thanks,

Rob
My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn

Ron Jones

This is pretty common. I have lately become a huge fan of Teflon dots. You put them in the right side bushing until the spool will no longer fall far enough to rub.

If the frame is not square you can run into what you are experiencing also.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Recoil Rob

Ron, thanks but I think it's more than that, the spool spins fine in free spool, it's only when I crank that it binds.
   - Errol Flynn

Alto Mare

Quote from: Recoil Rob on November 03, 2018, 11:23:15 AM
Ron, thanks but I think it's more than that, the spool spins fine in free spool, it's only when I crank that it binds.

From your explanation, I don't believe so.
Try doing what Ron has mentioned, he's spot on!

Better yet, get yourself one of these:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/26-155.aspx

The $5 would be money well spent.
Some here mention the tip of the spool shaft, to me that would never be the case.
The stainess steel shaft is much stronger that that bushing, this is why it wears out.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oc1

Center the spool.  The lip of the spool flange should tuck under the rings the same amount on both sides.  You can do it by eye.  Shim the right side as Ron and Sal suggest and tighten the left side bearing until there is just a few thousandths lateral play with the spool centered.  If it still binds then look for rub marks on the rings and/or lip of the spool flange.  If it's rubbing the rings then the frame may be twisted.
-steve

Maxed Out

You say it's a new metal spool.

Did you have the same issue with the original spool ??

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

swill88

Quote from: Ron Jones on November 03, 2018, 02:11:24 AM
This is pretty common. I have lately become a huge fan of Teflon dots. You put them in the right side bushing until the spool will no longer fall far enough to rub.

Ron

Teflon dots.  Where to get them?

Steve

Recoil Rob

The old spool was plastic I believe, it's been a while since I did that.

I tried pulling out the spool to mark it with a magic marker hoping to see what was binding. And when I reassembled it...problem gone. Not sure what I did right but I started with the left bearing loose and then tightened it down, everything seems fine noe.

I don't like not knowing what it was but I'd rather be lucky than good...

Thanks to all.
   - Errol Flynn

wfjord

Quote from: swill88 on November 03, 2018, 09:17:55 PM
Quote from: Ron Jones on November 03, 2018, 02:11:24 AM

Ron

Teflon dots.  Where to get them?

Steve

X2

Recoil Rob

Yes, what are Teflon dots and where do we get them?
   - Errol Flynn

Bryan Young

Quote from: Recoil Rob on November 03, 2018, 11:48:56 PM

I tried pulling out the spool to mark it with a magic marker hoping to see what was binding. And when I reassembled it...problem gone. Not sure what I did right but I started with the left bearing loose and then tightened it down, everything seems fine noe.

Thanks to all.

Likely now the assembly is now square whereas before it could have been a little twisted.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Recoil Rob

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 04, 2018, 01:29:02 AM
Quote from: Recoil Rob on November 03, 2018, 11:48:56 PM

Thanks to all.

Likely now the assembly is now square whereas before it could have been a little twisted.

Don't think so as I didn't take the frame apart, I just used the quick release on the right sideplate to take it off and remove the spool.
   - Errol Flynn

Bryan Young

It's possible the sideplate was not square when assembled the first time. I've had that same issues with jigmasters.  I don't know why. I figured if it's in the grooves and pulls the sideplate as you screw tightens but there is still slight misalignment for some reason
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D