hard handle cranking on JM pe8. help!?

Started by hafnor, September 02, 2011, 05:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafnor

As my JM pe8 had sit for a while without use it felt a bit slow when cranking the handle. So anyways I needed to do a rebuild before my next trip. After the rebuild. the reel felt nice and smooth when cranking but as soon as I put started playing with the lever (more drag) it got increasingly hard to crank. I think I just went up to 10-15 pounds of drag before the handle got really slow to crank. More drag=harder handle cranking. What is the problem here?

Please help, my soul will not rest before this problem is solved.

best regards from Norway. Thor

Squirmypug

Seems like its binding somewhere, I haven't worked on any lever drag reels so I can't be sure.I would check to make sure the spool isn't touching the frame when the drag is set higher first.  :-\
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

alantani

classic symptoms for a bad right main side plate bearing.......  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

hafnor

hmmm, that is not good. I will check it later, and give you feedback. thanks.

hafnor

That is perfectly right alan. That bearing is rusted firmly! Can't even move it with my fingers. I have now used, white spirit and wd40 on it. I have break cleaner too.... should I use it? What should I do here. After I soaked it for a while I can move it but not smoothly. How do I know when to replace it. The bearing wasmthe only bearing without ANY grease... Amazing what a drop of saltwater can do.

hafnor

I saved it:) thank you so much Alan. The bearing wouldn't move but after an hour in wd40, some breake cleaner corrosion X fiddling back and forwards it started to roll again. Thank you. the reel is now in PERFECT condition! Alan, sorry for this but could you take a look in the spinning reel section. I have a question regarding changing the ratio of a spinning reel. I found both schematics. Thank you

alantani

sorry for all the work, but the bearing will still have to be replaced.  when you run the reel through it's paces, you will most likely find the same problem. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

hafnor

oh, so I must replace it? how come? it works flawlessly now...

Irish Jigger

Alan's right,replace the rusted bearing otherwise it may let you down later. Would'nt want that to happen when you have a nice big Norwegian halibut on! It works ok now because it has been freed up and lubricated.

hafnor

Thanks irish jigger. I will Get the dimensions for it then