Noisy new SS gears

Started by Reel 224, November 10, 2018, 06:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Little trick I have taught myself for smoothing and quieting SS gears.

Use fine grinding compound first and turn the gears by hand, then clean and I apply some bore bright and cycle the gears again by hand. Again clean them thoroughly.

Then assembly them with the drag system and use grease on both gears when assembled. They will be smooth as silk and no noise at all.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Rivverrat

A mix of tooth paste & baking powder works also.   

If it's a Shimano baby powder will probably work...   Joking....  Jeff

Frank

Dropping and retrieving a 4 to 6 once diamond jig several hundred times a day will get them to shut the hell up too. LOL
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Reel 224

;D ;D ;D Just saying............................................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Frank

Only joking with you. I have done the toothpaste thing.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Reel 224

Quote from: Frank on November 10, 2018, 03:58:44 PM
Only joking with you. I have done the toothpaste thing.

Haven't tried toothpaste, it's a lot cheaper then my method for sure.........................................Joe 

mo65

Quote from: Rivverrat on November 10, 2018, 06:21:15 AM

Bahahaa!! Good one Jeff!

Be careful smoothing gears though guys...usually the smoothest gears are the worn out ones! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

That is a good method, Joe —

It all depends on what we are looking for —

I have folks who want quiet gears.  And some who don't care — as long as they are SS and they understand they will be a little noisier — and the reason why.  I generally show them a gear set and explain why (2) SS gears will be a little noisier than the old school method of coupling a steel gear with a bronze gear.  The SS gear set will be stronger under aggressive conditions — and probably never have a failure if lubed properly and regularly after each season.

For me personally, as long as I understand the engineering and concept — I am good listening to a noisier gear set, or an audible A/R system — because I know they are doing their job.

Sometimes, I install a conventional or spinning reel on one of the line winders — and let it break in for 10-15 minutes at a medium speed.  This is more rotations than the average angler will do in (8-10) years.  Then I reclean the gears and casing, relube, and it is as quiet as it will ever be without wearing down the gears.

Just depends what we are comfortable with and looking for in our equipment.

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

Quote from: mo65 on November 10, 2018, 04:51:25 PM

Bahahaa!! Good one Jeff!

Be careful smoothing gears though guys...usually the smoothest gears are the worn out ones! 8)

Mo: I respect you opinion on most all you have to inform us about, Here comes the but. I was not simply saying you have to ware out gears to get them quiet or smooth, the SS gears that are produced here are not lapped in they are semi rough cut.

The process is a except way of lapping sacrifices in order to refine meshing, the process that removes micro particles and not wearing out the gears. The process I explained here is Lapping not grinding, I have lapped rifle bolts for may rifles to square them up with the lugs and face. That process is far more Critical the lapping fishing reel gears. Maybe I should have Identified my experience first, but I thought I didn't have to explain myself for such a simple procedure.

When someone is giving some advice here and people are second guessing someone it gets old in a hurry. I surely do not think I know everything, but as you do quite often. I as well offer some incite. You can choose to ignore someone as I do but I don't criticize.

Joe    

Reel 224

Quote from: foakes on November 10, 2018, 05:38:15 PM
That is a good method, Joe —

It all depends on what we are looking for —

I have folks who want quiet gears.  And some who don't care — as long as they are SS and they understand they will be a little noisier — and the reason why.  I generally show them a gear set and explain why (2) SS gears will be a little noisier than the old school method of coupling a steel gear with a bronze gear.  The SS gear set will be stronger under aggressive conditions — and probably never have a failure if lubed properly and regularly after each season.

For me personally, as long as I understand the engineering and concept — I am good listening to a noisier gear set, or an audible A/R system — because I know they are doing their job.

Sometimes, I install a conventional or spinning reel on one of the line winders — and let it break in for 10-15 minutes at a medium speed.  This is more rotations than the average angler will do in (8-10) years.  Then I reclean the gears and casing, relube, and it is as quiet as it will ever be without wearing down the gears.

Just depends what we are comfortable with and looking for in our equipment.

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred

Fred; Your post came wile I was answering Mo's post. I thank you for your intelligent remarks.......................Joe

mo65

Quote from: Reel 224 on November 10, 2018, 05:43:21 PM
You can choose to ignore someone as I do but I don't criticize.   

Oh no Joe...I wasn't criticizing. I've smoothed gear just like you're doing. I was just saying be careful...the smoother she gets the more worn she is. Maybe I misread Jeff's comment, but I was taking it as Shimano gears can be soft. Again just joking along. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

Joe the info you posted is spot on. I believe Mo was just adding to what you all ready stated for the benefit of others. Nothing more than a reminder to be careful when doing as stated. Not at all meant to be slight to any one.

Joe I remember fellas coming into a mentor of mines shop & would complain about what he charged for action jobs on certain revolvers. I remember one who went on a rant about it. He asked if he had the gun with him he did. Asked if he could wait. He could.  
He took the revolver in the back did a complete check to make sure all tolerances where within specs. After packing with Crest toothpaste reinstalled the side plate placed  it in a jig where it was cycled a few hundred times. Cleaned & reassembled fired 3 full cylinders through it. All this took less that 20 minutes.

Bringing the gun back out & handing it over to the fella who stroked the trigger a few times & smiled. He was only charged $15. This of course was not an action job. My mentor & friend stated he got more than he had paid for he would have paid the man triple that to leave his shop.  

That is how I learned about toothpaste.  Have a fantastic day Joe... Jeff

conchydong

A mix of tooth paste & baking powder works also.   

Except Shimano would call the baby powder, "Super Silcate gear enhancement".

Reel 224

Quote from: mo65 on November 10, 2018, 06:17:31 PM
Quote from: Reel 224 on November 10, 2018, 05:43:21 PM
You can choose to ignore someone as I do but I don't criticize.   

Oh no Joe...I wasn't criticizing. I've smoothed gear just like you're doing. I was just saying be careful...the smoother she gets the more worn she is. Maybe I misread Jeff's comment, but I was taking it as Shimano gears can be soft. Again just joking along. 8)

Sorry Mike, no excuse except to say I have been on edge lately. It's the medication. PTSD. Ive had a hell of a time lately. But that isen't an excuse to go off the wall. Please except my apogees.

Joe

Rivverrat

Joe, your in the midst of understanding fellas... Jeff