US Senator/Baja Special Drag Star

Started by Frank, November 15, 2018, 02:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

I purchased a US Senator and love the reel. It's a tank but I'm a little disappointed in the plastic drag star and plastic handle nut cover. Can anyone point me in the right direction for quality replacements for these items?

Thanks,

Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

SoCalAngler

The newer Baja's came with a metal star and a extra bearing on the handle side but I don't know about the US reels. I'm sure a call to Penn or MysticParts and they can sort you out.

Penn

You have to go back about 10 years to find a 113HN with a plastic star, ever since then they have all used metal including all US Senators.  The cap on the other hand has always been plastic, it doesn't serve much purpose, it helps keep the nut underneath from backing off.

tony

steelfish

Quote from: Frank on November 15, 2018, 02:26:50 PM
I purchased a US Senator and love the reel. It's a tank but I'm a little disappointed in the plastic drag star and plastic handle nut cover. Can anyone point me in the right direction for quality replacements for these items?

Thanks,

Frank

sure you bought a US Senator?
as it was already said, the plastic star came in the 1st generation of BAJA special reels, them the upgraded the star to aluminium and added another bearing on the handle side, then Baja Special reel stopped production.
few time later it was resurrected with a new name, the US Senator reel, which is the same reel with a silver frame and spool instead of black color, but the US Senator should have already the additional bearing and aluminium star.

once you get the upgraded star contact Tom from Cortez convertion and put your name on a list or keep contact with him for the next batch of upgraded antireverse assembly.

The Baja Guy

Frank

Sorry, I was wrong I took the handle and star off and it is indeed aluminum. For some reason it felt and looked like plastic to me when it was installed on the reel. The handle nut cover is plastic. I'll see if I can come up with something to replace it.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Gman_WC

I picked up a new/used Baja on FleaBay on the cheap a few years back and have yet to fish it or even crack it open. It came for all places, Las Vegas?
It looks new out of the box minty but a plastic star on it that was replaced via Mystic.
It's an early model so what can I expect to find on this that needs to upgraded?
Thanks
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

Swami805

Get the upgraded bridge from Cortez Conversions when he has them. I got a well used one and found 1 dog and the post was broken off when I opened it up. That's the week link. I think you're set after  that.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JasonGotaProblem

Posting in an old thread instead of starting a new one.

I hate the plastic drag star on my baja. I see the 10-300T on mystic, but is that metal that's painted black, or is it still plastic "arms" on a star with a bit more metal on the important parts?

Did/does anyone make an aftermarket upgrade?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

jurelometer

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on January 08, 2024, 04:00:07 PMPosting in an old thread instead of starting a new one.

I hate the plastic drag star on my baja. I see the 10-300T on mystic, but is that metal that's painted black, or is it still plastic "arms" on a star with a bit more metal on the important parts?

Did/does anyone make an aftermarket upgrade?

Answered on reply #7 in this thread.   Check out the text and photos from Mystic.  Looks you you have to also also order the"graphite" washer that is needed for the metal (looks like cast Al) star.

-J

steelfish

Quote from: jurelometer on January 08, 2024, 07:27:10 PM......  Looks you you have to also also order the"graphite" washer that is needed for the metal (looks like cast Al) star.

-J

thats a MUST !!

or your star will bind/touch against the sideplate
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Turns out I just needed to search the bins a bit better. I may just make the washer. Just need to know dims. But then it's $1 locally so I may just pick one up and do it right.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.