jon got spooled........

Started by alantani, September 04, 2011, 06:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Alan, I just got home from my annual 8 day trip on the Excel.  Thus, I'll be sending you my most used reels for servicing soon.  I do have a question.  I have a 5 year old JX 2 sp that you've had to replace the bearings in almost annually.  You indicated that the bearing failure was due to too much drag.  Well, I lightened up the drag a few # to try and prevent this and promptly got spooled at the rocks.

What Okuma reel would be a proper replacement for my Avet?  I love my AVET but the thought of having to hold back on the drag pressure bugs me, especially if it potentially means a fish of a life time.  This beast I hooked took 400 yards quicker than quick.  Would a few # of extra drag have meant the diff?  I'll never know.

Jon

here's what i have so far.....

4 andros II's with 400 yards of 50# spectra straight to the top, and 3 foot topshots of 30, 35 or 40# fluoro

4 makaira 8 II's with 350 yards of 50# spectra and 3 foot topshots of 40 or 50# fluoro

4 makaira 10 II's with 400 yards of 65# spectra and 3 foot topshots of 50 or 60# fluoro

a single penn international 12 vsx with 500 yards of 80# spectra and a 3 foot topshot of 60 or 80# fluoro

a single makaira 20 II with 500 yards of 100# spectra and a 3 foot topshot of 80 or 100 # fluoro

all drags are set to 30-35% of topshot line weight. 

when you get a fish that is heading to china and you can't stop him, go ahead and push the lever forward and crunch the bearing.  trading a bearing for a big fish like that is more then fair.  fishing with those old avets is like taking a knife to a gunfight.......

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

akfish

If you do like your JX, you might look at a JX Raptor. It's the same reel -- except that it has twice as much drag and larger bearings that rarely fail. I absolutely love my LX Raptor but wouldn't fish a standard LX or JX.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

the problem is still the load on the right main side plate bearing.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jim

In my experience the solution to Jon's situation is spelled . . . Accurate.