Sebastian Florida Red...

Started by qcguy4198, September 05, 2011, 10:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qcguy4198

Thought I'd post this nice Red from yesterday's kayak trip. This one went 25" on my Tape.

Caught on a GULP "pogy" Silver/Mud color behind a 1/4 oz. chartreuse Slayer jighead.
I continue to be amazed at how much fish my Stradic 1000 and Quantum 6-12# line wt. graphite spinning rod will easily handle from my Yak. Once I got this one worked away from the Mangroves...we were off for a "San Sebastian Sleigh Ride" as he towed me out onto the grass flats.
He wasn't hooked deep, and after  gentle recovery....swam away strong.

Steve-O

NICE RED!!! ;D

I got my Cobra F-n-D yak this year and love a good sleigh ride. Even the small carp I've caught will drag me around. One 16 pounder was actually making burbles against the hull with a tiny wind ripple going under the boat.

I think one or two of those reds might have to go home via invitation to dinner. Beautifull colors!

Steve-O

redsetta

Great fish, QC - liked the story, too.
Keep 'em coming!
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

qcguy4198

Thanks for the kind words folks. I do take one home now and then, but this particular fish had some Kharma goin' on....
I had just caught and released a little 16" Flounder. Once again, it was legal...even met my "personal" bottom size limit ( I won't keep a Flounder under 16") but I decided to put it back. I got it unhooked cleanly, but in the process kinda tore up my Slayer jighead with the de-hooker....to the point that most of the paint was off it and even pulled the GULP off. Soooo...I released the Flattie. Looking at the tore-up Slayer & GULP...I figured What the Heck...stuck the GULP back on, and gave it a toss towards the Mangroves...
One "twitch" and that nice Red was hanging onto my "tore-up" lure, heading for the trees.
The lite-wt Quantum rod took a pretty severe bend as the Red made a few passes under my Yak until I got him away from the brushy stuff, and headed for open water. When you're fishing in water 18-24" deep, the fish can't go DOWN...so they tend to run UNDER the yak...stressing the rod A LOT.
For me, it's kind of a win-win situation...I like the Quantum just fine....BUT...IF it were to get broken by a nice fish...I'll have an excellent excuse to add another St. Croix to my battery.
All that said then...for some reason, when I enjoy a great fight with a good fish...If he's not badly hooked, I'll do what I can to "recover" him, and enjoy the splash when he flips a tail-ful of water in my face as he takes off. Sorry to be so "wordy"...but thought some might enjoy "the rest of the story..."

redsetta

Great stuff QC - half the fun of fishing is the storytelling...
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer