Penn 9 Class with Reel Clamp as the Reel Seat

Started by sundancer, November 19, 2018, 02:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundancer

Miles to go.....,

STRIPER LOU

Steve, Its a great idea, Plus it spreads the clamping over a longer area and that's a good thing! I was just curious if it had any effect on the frame?

I don't think I've ever seen one of the Plate type seats and that's a snap compared to what he's doing. If I recall, he's using several layers of heat shrink tubing. He's a bottom fisherman and I guess the strength is sufficient.

On your setup, how about 2 of the composite Penn clamps? If the center distance is to wide you could possible put a flat on each clamp to compensate for it and let them butt together. Don't know if its any better than having all that hardware hanging off the bottom.

Anyways, your  on the right track, ....  Lou

sundancer

The regular Reel Clamp has always been an idea - and maybe it is the correct one, but we would have to drill holes in the Reel Foot for the Clamp Screws just like all the larger Reels that already use the Clamp..  

Will have to try..  

S
Miles to go.....,

Ron Jones

Finally!
A way to clamp an 85 to a deck-hand rod! Why haven't I thought of that? I don't see that thing flexing or torquing much.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

swill88

sundancer

Gents

Bit of an update.

Got a box of 3/16 x 2.5" Eyebolts for the rear.  Needed the extra length for the rear.  Unfortunately it seems that the longer the Shaft, the larger the Eye gets, irrespective of the dimension listed.

Using a traditional Reel Clamp might still be the better way, but I am still trying the 2 Clamps off the front and rear Bars.  Although considably more parts, I think this will work. 

I am preferring the Wingnuts as they can be adjusted without tools.

Here's what I have now:

The red Tubing over the Bolts is just that, Tubing to protect the exposed length.

At this time I can't see any racking of the Frame, all works as it should.  The real test will be in use.  I can always go back to a real Reel Seat.

What are your thoughts?

Steve
Miles to go.....,

sundancer

Miles to go.....,

sundancer

FWIW

I finally drilled 2 holes for a traditional Clamp.  it seems to work well, although I have to bend the Bolts a little to get them straight, perpendicular to the Rod. 

I am now inclined to try 2 Clamps, the same way, off the Seat.  I think this is the way to go but only time on the water will tell.

Can do pictures is interested

Thanks again guys..
Steve

and

PS

Miles to go.....,

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

sundancer

Have to measure the Foot to see if there is room for 2 Clamps.  It seems stable, especially considering it is on the Paracord-wrapped Handle, which is kinda soft, but who knows once the 'worm hits the water..'.

Steve
Miles to go.....,