Penn 712z bail problem

Started by bluesideup, September 06, 2011, 07:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluesideup

I have a Penn 712z. On every fifth cast or so, the bail snaps closed during the cast. Does this sound like a bad bail spring or is there something else I should look into.
Thanks,
Bill

redsetta

G'day Bill,
Seems like you're looking in the right area.
The arm may not be engaging properly, either due to spring/pin wear or build-up around the mechanism.
Would be worth looking at the bail release arm (#28-712), spring (#30-704) and pin (#29-712).
Slightly less likely, but worth a closer look is the bail arm (#34-712), where it engages with the bail release arm. While you're there, check the bail arm screw is tight (#31-710).
Pull the spool and rotor cup and let us know what you find...
Schematic here: https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/712z.pdf
Hope that helps,
Justin

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

There is a little lever near where the bail connects to the rotating cup.  Sometimes that gets stiff with crud and corrosion.  I've had a similar problem witt my reel.  That one of my best striper reel.  Just seems like my perfect match for striper up to 15# using 12# test line.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bluesideup

Thank you both for the info. I am away for a few days, but when I get home I will check around the bail for any issues. I was going to order a part for another reel from Scott's, so I thought maybe I could combine the two.
Bill

bluesideup

I was able to look at the reel today and all off the bail components seem ok to me (although, if there wasn't a very obvious problem, I probably wouldn't see it).
I think what is happening is when I open the bail the rotor cup is in such a position that it only needs to turn very little to trip the bail. When I cast, the cup probably rotates just enough to trip the bail. I don't know if there is any way to reset the point in the rotation where the bail trips or not. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Bill