Langley Castrite 380A

Started by ebroesicke, September 09, 2011, 01:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebroesicke

Over the labor day weekend, my family was visiting friends on the St. Lawrence River, and I came across this old rod/reel in the boat house.  It worked but was a little dirty. Being inspired by this board, I decided to see if I could fix it up a little.  To my surprise everything came apart easily.  I only had some light oil and WD-40, so that's what I used.  Interesting little reel.  No drag, and no free spool.  Just main gear, pinion, and pawl gear.  I don't think I could get much simpler.  This is more of an homage to Alan and everyone who has posted the awesome tutorials found on this site.  Sorry the pictures aren't great:

The breakdown was really easy, just kept removing screws until I had it all apart.  Since there is no drag or freespool, there were no springs or anything to lose or have to figure out how they went back on.  Wish I had taken a before/after picture but I got side tracked by family and fishing!  It ended up having about 5 secs of spin on with an empty spool (everything spins at once, handle/spool/levelwind), not bad I guess.

Erik

Bryan Young

I used to fish with a few of those reels when I was a very young man.  Drag was your thumb and remember, if line is being pulled out, let the handle go or you could be in pain shorlty there after (speaking from experience of course).

Thanks for sharing.  Ah, those were the days. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kamuwela

cool, thanks a million for the post