Daiwa 50HSD jerky drag

Started by fishingsam2009, September 10, 2011, 03:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishingsam2009

Hello Daiwa lovers
I have a new Daiwa 50HSD .  the drag was not smooth when purchased, so I decided to put in the Carbontex washers. These washers are much better quality than the original. The result was the same jerky drag when you apply only moderate drag pressure. I haven't even used the reel because of this. I hane taken the drag stack apart several times and cannot find any reason for the problem. I need help.
Fishingsam

Bryan Young

What type of line do you have on the reel?  Is the line tight?  I found a similar problem on some other reel when they are using mono.  It varried based on how the line was packed and the stretch in the line.  Not sure if this is your problem though.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

And you greased the new washers, right?
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

**GREASE FOR PEACE**  !!!!     ;D
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

fishingsam2009

Thanks for all the help .
The line is 30# Trilene Big Game and was put on the spool with tension.
I installed the carbontes with a liberal amount of Cal's drag grease. I removed most of the grease and it helped some but at higher drag settings it is not smooth, but is better.
Fishingsam

Nessie Hunter

If thats the case I would look into new SS drag Plates..

They are precision ground and polished to have better surface contact with the Carbontex washers.

Metal plates can be warped or pitted so small its almost not visible, this will cause the jerking.
Even a warped Main Gear will do it.....
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!