Main Menu

Penn 113H

Started by MassBay, September 11, 2011, 03:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MassBay

Hello everybody,
I am a new member hoping to get some advice. I was recently given a Penn 113H that had sat for years. It was in great shape and had no obvious issues until I got my hands on it. I took it apart to clean/grease/oil and in doing so I lost the dog spring. I ordered a new one from Penn and also picked up a pair of clutch springs. After replacing the springs and reassembling the reel I had to really crank down the left side bearing to keep the reel from skipping. Even with the left side bearing nearly bottomed out the reel will skip once after pulling 8-10' of drag. I have also read that there is supposed to be a bit of play in the spool; the spool of my reassembled reel has no movement at all. I am hoping that there is something that I forgot to check or that someone knows through experience where I went wrong.

Thanks for your advice,

MassBay

akfish

First the simple part: Back off the left side spool bearing so that there is a tiny amount of side to side play. If you keep it tight you can harm the end bearings and even swell the side plate. Now for the skipping: This could be caused by incorrect installation of the clutch springs, a bent yoke or a bent eccentric jack. Another possibility is that the inside of the pinion gear is worn down so that it slips on the spool. I see this last problem fairy frequently with reels that have been fished with heavy drag and shifted out of gear while there is heavy drag pressure (say when you are snagged on the bottom). If this is the problem, you'll need to replace both the pinion gear and the main gear. To avoid this problem in the future, do this: When snagged on the bottom, back off on the drag so you can pull out line before shifting into free spool.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

MassBay

akfish,

Thanks for you response, your suggestions got me pointed in the right direction. I backed the left side bearing off entirely and still didnt have any play in the spool. I then took the right side apart looking for bent or worn parts as you described. Everything looked good until I got to the pinion gear. After lifting it out I noticed a previously unseen clutch spring (old) sticking out of the bottom of the pinion gear. The 'guts' to the reel sat in a tray for a week while I waited for the new springs. The old spring must have found its way inside the gear. I will be damned if it wasnt a perfect fit too. I removed the spring and everything worked fine from there.
I guess that is why surgeons count their sponges in the operating room.

Thanks for your help,

MassBay

alantani

crud.  don't suppose you took any pictures.  that is one photo that i would have loved to see!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MassBay

Sorry Alan... no pics. It was such an "ah-ha!" moment and I was just so happy that I had figured it out. I can't tell you how many times I went through your tutorial.... thinking "nothing is wrong here" only to put the side cover back on and still be faced with the same problem. On the bright side, I could take that reel apart and put in back together blindfolded now, so it was a good learning experience.

Great site!

MassBay

alantani

what every you do, don't tell your friends about this.  pretty soon you're going to start finding boxes of reels on your doorstep on monday with a note saying "hey, thanks, buddy, i'll pick these up on thursday....". 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

MassBay

I suppose it isnt a very good sign that I have been paying extra attention to yard sales......

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: MassBay on September 15, 2011, 09:57:41 PM
I suppose it isnt a very good sign that I have been paying extra attention to yard sales......

You're looking for parts so you can help others, right? ;D ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: norcal pescador on September 15, 2011, 10:06:45 PM
Quote from: MassBay on September 15, 2011, 09:57:41 PM

You're looking for parts so you can help others, right? ;D ;D

Oh man!! thats how going to the dark side starts!!!!  LOL

Might as well start setting up a shop area...  Your doomed!!!!!!  LOL

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

seaeagle2

Watch out, I was going to get two for halibut fishing, Now I've got 5, wait til you see some of the stuff you can do do these reels,  and what you can find on ebay if you look, newell frames and spools, jvarance frames and spools, accurate frames and spools, reels with combinations of parts, etc.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Board4life

Quote from: alantani on September 15, 2011, 05:19:15 PM
what every you do, don't tell your friends about this.  pretty soon you're going to start finding boxes of reels on your doorstep on monday with a note saying "hey, thanks, buddy, i'll pick these up on thursday....".  

So true. I just started doing my reels two months ago and now I have done many of my friends reels as well. Over 20 of them... 8 Different types. Even had some spinning reels in there. I wasn't ready for that. But... on the good side, I did earn a couple free boat rides out of it.

And the conversion I did... My new go to reel. Love it.