Penn 114H (Stainless Spool) (2.8:1 Ratio) - worth upgrading?

Started by Dan N., September 11, 2011, 03:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan N.

Hi Everyone:

My Dad gave me an old Penn 114H with stainless spool and 2.8:1 gear ratio.
This reel has never been used. My Dad spooled it up with 450yds of 50lb mono and stuck it in a drawer.
This is an older model with red side plates and stainless posts. It is very heavy.

I'm building a 60lb-80lb class trolling rod (Calstar BT6460XH). I fish out of San Diego (local and offshore).
I'm considering putting some money into the reel (i.e. Tiburon frame, aluminum spool, etc.) to use for this rod. As the reel is now, it is far too heavy and frankly looks a bit big for the blank.
I've seen some T60 frames for sale but haven't had any luck locating an aluminum spool or any gear upgrades either, so I don't know how difficult or expensive this would be.

So, I'm asking...would the 114H reel be appropriate for this rod, assuming I did the upgrades?
If so, would it be worth it do to do the upgrades?

Thanks in advance.

Qui Tacet Consentire - Silence gives consent

To a man that has only a hammer, the entire world looks like a nail - Abraham Maslow

redsetta

G'day DN,
The 114H would be well worth upgrading, particularly as it's a 'Special' (ie red/maroon side plates).
Alan's got some great Tiburon frames here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1524.0
The T60NK kit is a nice bit of gear.
QuoteT60 Topless Frame for Penn 114, 114H, 114HL (6/0) $85
T60NK Topless Narrow Frame and Spool Kit for Penn 114, 114H, 114HL (6/0)  $200
Then a Kolekar handle upgrade (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=158.0), stainless gear sleeve, greased carbontex, stainless yoke (http://smoothdrag.com/price.html) etc etc...  ;D
Good luck!
Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Hello DN, welcome aboard!
Justin pretty much covered it all, I just hope that he didn't scare you ;D. As far as is it worth it, to me yes but it's not going to be cheap, the upgrades could set you back over $300 :-\. In your case, it would probably be a good thing, I'm sure that your reel has some sentimental value to you. Carbon fiber washers is a good call, the stock gear sleeve on this reels is already beefed up, you would probably get away with it, the gears....If you're thinking of upgrading to a higher gear ratio, I don't believe that you will be able to find them, I've been looking for a while with no luck. Check with Alan, as Justin recommended, I'm sure that he can help you out. Take care and good luck. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

akfish

Much of the weight is due to is chromed brass cast spool. You'll need to get an aluminum spool to significantly reduce the weight; the Tiburon frames actually weigh a little more than the posts you already have. Adding a handle, frame and spool would cost quite a bit. Too much in my opinion
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

Akfish is right, but you also need to consider the type of fishing that you'll be doing. You wouldn't want to troll wire line with an aluminum spool....it would shred it to pieces.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

honestly, i'd call charkbait and order up a makaira 20 two speed and have them string it up with straight 100# spectra straight to the top.  respool your dad's old reel with straight 60# mono, grease the drags and call it done.  the rod is way too much for a 6/0 senator.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dan N.

Hi Everyone:

Thank you for your responses.

@Alto and Redsetta:
I was considering the T60NK, but again wasn't sure the end result would be worth the money and effort. I must admit the though of putting $300+ into an older technology is not appealing to me.
I was hoping someone would indicate if the rod/reel combo was appropriate as well. From Alan's response, it sound like, he at least, doesn't not think so. 

@Alan: I'm definately thinking along the lines of your advice on the Makaira 20.
Forgive the follow-ups...

I'm a little confused by your statement "the rod is way too much for a 6/0 senator". The blank I have (Calstar BT6460XH) is a 6', E-Glass, X-Fast taper, rated at 40-100.
* Are you saying the reel is too "small/weak" for a rod of this class or that the rod itself is to "small/weak" for the reel?
* Am I correct in assuming the Makaira is appropriate as I intend to use this rod mainly as a trolling rig?
* Finally, regarding your advice to rig the Makaira with 100# spectra...I'm just making the transition from momo to braid lines...I've been told that they have zero stretch. It is appropriate to use spectra for a trolling rig?

Thanks again to everyone for helping me.

-Dan-

To a man that has only a hammer, the entire world looks like a nail - Abraham Maslow

redsetta

That's all good advice - seems like you're on the right track now Dan.
AK, Sal and Alan are spot on, of course.
Being on the other side of the world, pricing is a little different.
A Makaira 10 in NZ retails for over $600, while in the US it appears to be around $450.
The 20 is $1000 in NZ and less than $500 in the US.
Even taking account of the exchange rate, the cost difference is substantial (making an old Penn upgrade a viable option in some instances).
Sounds like you'll have a cracker rig once it's all put together.
Re: Spectra - it's fine for trolling, though I always use a top shot/shock leader of flouro/mono (which will also save your hands when you've got the fish at the boat).
All the best, Justin

Dominick

Quote from: redsetta on September 11, 2011, 10:46:54 PM
Re: Spectra - it's fine for trolling, though I always use a top shot/shock leader of flouro/mono (which will also save your hands when you've got the fish at the boat).
All the best, Justin

Dan: This is the best advice.  Justin is right on.  As you stated correctly there is zero stretch in braided line.  In my experience trolling braid without something to take the shock of a big hit caused too many break-offs.  Of course you can keep a light drag at strike and ramp up the drag, but that doesn't always work.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wallacewt

$300 upgrade on an old reel.cmon guys get real.leave it as it is and get youself a modern reel.if you just want it to look good give it a clean.worth upgrading  NO

redsetta

You're right Wallace.
If the budget allows, a Makaira 8 II (or similar) would be a lovely bit of gear.
Most new reels (the ones I'd want, anyway) are beyond my budget, so I did the (T4NK) Tiburon/Kolekar upgrade for $183.
The S/S yoke was $4.
I'm really happy with the result, but agree that it's no Talica/Makaira etc...

Dan N.

Hi Everyone:

Thanks again to all that responded.
Based on the responses, I believe I'll take the advice on the Makaira 20.

That being the case, final follow-up question.

As it is...what woudl you say the 114H stock out-of-box (stainless spool, posts, std. drag, etc.) is "intended" for?
What I mean is, at the time it was generally sold and considered modern technology, was it primarily a trolling reel, or a rock-cod reel?

Thanks again to all.

-Dan-

Norcal Pescador

Here's a link to MysticParts and what Penn advertised the 114H for:

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/Penn114H.aspx#specs

I like mine and use it for deep-water rock-codding or trolling. 80# Spectra over 80# mono. Not super fast but it works.
I've never seen a stainless spool on a Senator out-of-the-box. Your spool has a 99.99% chance of being nickel-plated brass. If the brass had been polished better the nickel plating wouldn't look so much like stainless steel.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

Dan, I also like mine as Rob does. I have a few, some with the narrow kits, some are the anniversary series with the red spool and some are like the one you have. These are considered light trolling reels, but don't underestimate them, you could push these reels to around 25lb of drag with no problems. I'm going to recommend tha you replace the drags, kit # 6-114 HSP this is a complete kit with carbon washers and metal washers for around $15, you could get the kit from penn parts.com, or check with Dawn at smooth drag.com. A Tiburon frame is also a good investment, and that's about all that the reel would need. If you did want to invest on a Tiburon frame, just google: tiburon fishing reels, they have some new frames that don't require the inner rings when installed, they look sweet, or check with Alan, I think he has some. Invest about $100 with those upgrades and that reel will be your friend for the rest of your life. Good luck with whatever you decide. Sal

George4741

Dan,

As you can tell from some of the guys' comments, there are several of us here who would spend the money upgrading the frame and spool of your 6/0 reel, and I'm one of them.  Then you have others who recommend a new Makaira 20.     

Let's look at this from another perspective.  What are you fishing for, and, how often do you fish?  If you are fishing for school albacore out of San Diego, a heavy trolling rig (often a 6/0 or equivalent) is mainly used to attract albacore to the boat, then most of the fish are caught with a lighter live-bait rig.

Depending on what type of fishing you do, you might want to spend your money to add a nice 25-30lb rig, or upgrade your existing one.  This would also satisfy most bottom fishing chores. 

I think the Makaira 20 would be a great reel for the bigger stuff found at Alijos Rocks and further south, but it may not used enough, and too expensive to get your money's worth closer to home.  But then, I'm sure most of us have spent too much money on reels that we didn't have a need for.  LOL

Just my 2 cents worth,
George
viurem lliures o morirem