Penn 114H (Stainless Spool) (2.8:1 Ratio) - worth upgrading?

Started by Dan N., September 11, 2011, 03:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Good comment George.... except for the last part. I would say I'm sure that WE ALL spent too much money on reels that we didn't have a need for. ;D. But it makes us happy.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Forget the modern technology... put that 114H on steroids... at least you get a work out at the same time so you can cancel your gym membership ;D
I, like many others here are big fans of the tried and true Senators... cause they've never let us down, parts are easy to get, and you can work on them any where. First, I would put in some greased carbon drags, then I would do a trip with the 114h and see how she does, and you can take it from there.  If money isn't an issue then buy a Makaira or similar reel.
Best of luck,
Dom

George4741

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 13, 2011, 11:07:29 AM
I would say I'm sure that WE ALL spent too much money on reels that we didn't have a need for. ;D.

That is what I wanted to say, but was reluctant to because of pc (political correctness).  I went overboard on the pc (no pun intended).

Quote from: broadway on September 13, 2011, 02:27:16 PM
         Forget the modern technology... put that 114H on steroids... at least you get a work out at the same time so you can cancel your gym membership ;D
I, like many others here are big fans of the tried and true Senators... cause they've never let us down, parts are easy to get, and you can work on them any where. First, I would put in some greased carbon drags, then I would do a trip with the 114h and see how she does, and you can take it from there.  If money isn't an issue then buy a Makaira or similar reel.
Best of luck,
Dom

Good advice! 
viurem lliures o morirem

wallacewt

quote,by dn120721"the thought of putting $300+into an older technology is not applealing to me"end of quote.
is that appealing to anybody?
$20 upgrade, go for it by all means

Dan N.

Hi Everyone:

As before, I really appreciate the responses.

So, I guess what I'm left with is a consensus that new greased carbon drags are an inexpensive way to significantly improve on this reel.
I agree with the "virtually indistructable / easy to get parts" sentiment about the senator line. I'm definately not a fan of the weight and would very much like to swap out the brass spool for an aluminum one.
Which lends itself to getting the Tiburon frame, narrow spool, etc. (This is what my wife calls my endless justification spiral).

Seriously, the one response, however, that still concerns me alantani's statement about the BT6460XH being, "way too much rod for a 6/0 senator".
My intention was to wrap the BT6460XH as an 80lb class trolling setup for when I go out on 1 or 2 day trips out of San Diego.

So, if not the 114H (and since this is just for trolling)...recommendation reel for this stick?

-Dan-   
Qui Tacet Consentire - Silence gives consent

To a man that has only a hammer, the entire world looks like a nail - Abraham Maslow

Alto Mare

Dan, Scott's at mysticparts.com has the aluminum spool in stock for $52.70, part # 29L-114HL.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dan N.

Thanks Alto:

Just ordered the spool.

Same question as before....anyone have a suggestion for an appropriate TROLLING Reel for the BT6460XH stick?

Thanks

-Dan-
Qui Tacet Consentire - Silence gives consent

To a man that has only a hammer, the entire world looks like a nail - Abraham Maslow

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 13, 2011, 12:49:40 AM
Dan, I also like mine as Rob does. I have a few, some with the narrow kits, some are the anniversary series with the red spool and some are like the one you have.  Sal
Sal:  What can you tell me about the red spool?  I just rebuilt a 114H for a friend and it had the red spool.  I didn't think anything of it until your post quote above.  I just thought I had spilled some zin on it when I wasn't looking ;D. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tidetime

Not trying to hijack the thread but, had a question that is in-line with the current topic.  Will the full aluminum frame (penn) that I have on 114 work on a 114h?

Alto Mare

Quote from: Pescachaser on September 14, 2011, 05:40:50 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on September 13, 2011, 12:49:40 AM
Dan, I also like mine as Rob does. I have a few, some with the narrow kits, some are the anniversary series with the red spool and some are like the one you have.  Sal
Sal:  What can you tell me about the red spool?  I just rebuilt a 114H for a friend and it had the red spool.  I didn't think anything of it until your post quote above.  I just thought I had spilled some zin on it when I wasn't looking ;D. Dominick

Well, good thing he is a friend ;D. The red spool is an anodized aluminum  spool just like the black, the red was introduced for their 50th anniversary. If your friend reel looks like this one, then he has the 50th anniversary edition. Note the Chromed-plated spacer bars, this is one of my favorite  reels. Sal

Alto Mare

Quote from: Tidetime on September 14, 2011, 06:56:39 PM
Not trying to hijack the thread but, had a question that is in-line with the current topic.  Will the full aluminum frame (penn) that I have on 114 work on a 114h?
Yes!

Dominick

Sal:  Thanks.  That's it.  I replaced the drags and the pitted frame bars.  It looks brand new.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

It's a shame that those Chromed-plated spacer bars did't hold up to saltwater, that's why they didn't last long. Penn later introduced the black anodized aluminum bars, I think that they're still available today, but they don't look as sweet as the Chromed ones.

redsetta

That's one great-looking reel Sal!
Your collection is a source of constant amazement... ;D ;D
Cheers for sharing.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

i've enjoyed this thread the most!  so here's my take.  is this reel worth all of the upgrades?  um, no, but then is anything that we do worth the cost?  would i enjoy fishing with a reel like this?  absolutely.  would i prefer a more modern reel?  sure, but a hotrodded 114h would be a hoot to fish with.  want something even more fun?  i think i still have a few narrow frame and spool kits for the 114hl ........   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!