Penn 114H (Stainless Spool) (2.8:1 Ratio) - worth upgrading?

Started by Dan N., September 11, 2011, 03:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

Alan, or anyone else that wants to chime in here,
I don't think we've fully answered one of Dan's questions.  I know you said the Calstar BT6460XH is too heavy for the Penn 6/0, but is it at least do-able with #80 mono?  Or is the rod/reel combo just totally unsuitable?  I'm not familiar with the rod.

George
viurem lliures o morirem

Dan N.

Hi George:

Thank you, I was hoping someone would address my other question.

If it helps, the Calstar BT6460XH is an E-Glass, X-Fast taper blank rated at 40-100lbs.

My intention was to use it with the Penn 114H for trolling 80lb mono.

Based on the previous recommendations, I've ordered an aluminum spool and am strongly considering a tiburon frame and carbon drags.

That being said, my knowledge of reels and rod classes is limited and I'd like to know if the rig I'm proposing is missmatched.

Thanks

-Dan-
Qui Tacet Consentire - Silence gives consent

To a man that has only a hammer, the entire world looks like a nail - Abraham Maslow

George4741

Dan,
I like Penn reels and that's the only brand of salt water reel I have, so I'm somewhat biased.  For me, old-school is cool!  However I don't have the vast experience that some of the other members have.  That said, before you spend the extra money on a Tiburon frame, try fishing with it as-is.  These reels have been hauling in big fish since before most of us were born, so the stock frame is adequate.  By all means, make sure you have the 1+5 carbon fiber drags and lube them with Cals grease-big difference.  That is the inexpensive route.  Then, after a trip or two, if you can't live without the Tiburon frame, go ahead and upgrade it.  Otherwise, you may end up with a reel you may not like and not get your money's worth.

About the rod.  If it was mine, I would use that rod with the 114H.  It may be a little too stiff and overkill, but I think it will be satisfactory.  I've used Penn 6/0 and Daiwa 600 reels paired with Daiwa VIP655XH rods and they were more than satisfactory for the school sized albacore and tuna we caught out of San Diego.  I imagine your rod is similar to those.   

Now, if I'm wrong about the rod, I'm sure someone will chime in here.  I definitely respect the other members opinions. 
George
viurem lliures o morirem

Dan N.

To a man that has only a hammer, the entire world looks like a nail - Abraham Maslow

blktwr2660

Hi,Guy's me again 8). Have to chime in on this one.I've been useing Penn Reels all my life :) from small to very large :D inshore to offshore.I've caught everything from small sardines(bait) to giant tuna and marlin :D all on OLD SCHOOL Penn Reels ;) (their weakest point-leather drags :( ) But now with the new tech CARBON DRAGS and GREASE we have unleashed a new animal >:( a reel that can handle just about anything we throw at it.Alloy frames are great(extra insurance  ;D) alloy spools(great for the caster :D )But remenber we have been doing this forever  ;D with factory out of the box reels  ;) I'm not trying to take anything away from these manufactures and I apprecite every thing they have done :) for us, but the bottom line is gave me the chance to make a good product great I'm going to take it :D Upgrade ??? Yes,to a point.The fish don't know, or care if you use a colored alloy frame or not.Use the biggest reel you can handle,don't overtax the blank,if it feels right and looks right ::) than its right. You don't need a big budget to catch quality fish :D ( 80 is not needed for a 6/0 ::) use 60 if your trolling(breaks at 85 :P) smaller diam. more yardage :D.Without lever drags,Braid or all this new tech. :P.We are on our own,Us against our qurrey :D Have caught Swordfish to 400 lbs. w/a 6/0 loaded w 60.Tell you what if you don't think that that your 114 is worth upgrading don't touch it and e-mail with a price.I'll put it to good use ::)                      
Not from around here,Just fishing and doing time on planet earth.

Dan N.

Hi blktwr2660:

I too am a fan of Penn Reels and "old school". My first reel was a Jigmaster Jr. that I bought at a swap meet for $20, and I still have it.  >:( 
I've been fully convinced to keep the 114 and to do some modest upgrades.  Truthfully, the aluminum spool is just because I'm not a fan of the heavy brass.

Thanks for the offer to buy, but I think I'll keep it for now. I will, however, have a heavy brass 114 spool available in about a week or so.   ;)

Cheers,

-Dan-

SeaDawg

Well, good thing he is a friend ;D. The red spool is an anodized aluminum  spool just like the black, the red was introduced for their 50th anniversary. If your friend reel looks like this one, then he has the 50th anniversary edition. Note the Chromed-plated spacer bars, this is one of my favorite  reels. Sal

Did all the 50th anniversary 114HL models have these Chromed spacer bars?? Was the red spool on later models as well??

Great thread btw :)
God created the fishing pole to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world...........

DISCLAIMER: All information posted by me anywhere on the internet is purely for entertainment purposes. Information in my postings cannot be relied upon as, nor considered, factual. Thank you.

Alto Mare

Only for a couple of years, SeaDawg. Penn then switched to the black spacer bars, I believe that they realized that the chromed bars didn't hold up. So, if you or anyone else have any, send them my way ;D. To me, the 114HL with the chromed spacers is one of the best looking reel that Penn ever came out with.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.