US Senator question

Started by gstours, December 22, 2018, 03:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

I recently saw a post for sale of an alum framed US Senator 113 in a 4.3 gear ratio.  is the gear, reel sleeve , drag inners, interchangable with the old school senator series of reels?
   I suspect this reel is a new take off off the Baja,  Am i right or is this an improvement to a new reel?   Seems like it would fill a part of the Blue market inbetween reel series of offerings.   just wonderin?

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarkT

The US 113n is the old Baja special with a silver frame and spool... that's it.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

Quote from: gstours on December 22, 2018, 03:52:55 AM
   I suspect this reel is a new take off off the Baja,  Am i right?

You're right amigo Gary.

Its just the good old Baja Special with different color frame and an ugly handle.
PS: it still need the antireverse assembly upgrade by Tom
The Baja Guy

mrwilson99

I have the new 113n with Tom's bridge upgrade and is a solid reel!
David

gstours

Tank,  just wondered.   ???  Pricey yes if it needs more work.  Many folks just fish stuff box stock.  It looks like a pretty good reel though.

Darin Crofton

Quote from: mrwilson99 on December 22, 2018, 06:25:55 AM
I have the new 113n with Tom's bridge upgrade and is a solid reel!
Same here, got mine recently for $220 delivered brand new, solid reel for sure!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

foakes

The US's and the Baja's are everything we have been asking for in our upgraded reels, Gary —

They are rock-solid.

The only exception would be the silly floating springs & A/R dogs assemblies.

Tom, the owner of Cortez on our site, has engineered a dead simple and perfect solution with his complete  drop-in bridge, sleeve, and double dog assembly.  This includes a SS sleeve, and puts the double SS dogs and springs flat and solidly on the bridge deck — no chance to wiggle or distort — just solid dual contact with the ratchet.

This was the only weak link in this reel, IMO — and it has now been addressed, thoughtfully engineered, upgraded, and made bullet-proof.

Yes, it seems expensive, at first glance — however, if you did the same upgrades to a stock Senator — there would be MORE money involved — and there would still likely be a few key pieces missing.

These are under appreciated, and undervalued reels, IMO.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

gstours

Thanks Fred, because of this forum we all have a chance to learn and improve some of our tackle.🐟
   I had a early Baha and had problems and didn't like it and practically gave it away on e-bay. 🤷‍♂️
Then started upgrading the 113h,s.  Because I wanted to .
  I,m glad to see the great store bought upgraded parts now available.   I still like to diy whenever practical though.   Thanks for sharing the information.🎣

Frank

Quote from: foakes on December 22, 2018, 05:11:40 PM
The US's and the Baja's are everything we have been asking for in our upgraded reels, Gary —

They are rock-solid.

The only exception would be the silly floating springs & A/R dogs assemblies.

Tom, the owner of Cortez on our site, has engineered a dead simple and perfect solution with his complete  drop-in bridge, sleeve, and double dog assembly.  This includes a SS sleeve, and puts the double SS dogs and springs flat and solidly on the bridge deck — no chance to wiggle or distort — just solid dual contact with the ratchet.

This was the only weak link in this reel, IMO — and it has now been addressed, thoughtfully engineered, upgraded, and made bullet-proof.

Yes, it seems expensive, at first glance — however, if you did the same upgrades to a stock Senator — there would be MORE money involved — and there would still likely be a few key pieces missing.

Best,

Fred

Well said, Fred. As usual. I'd love for them to make this reel in a Jigmaster 505/506  size.

Tom, Cortez Conversions, never ceases to amaze with his upgrades.

Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

steelfish

Quote from: Frank on December 22, 2018, 09:40:06 PM
Quote from: foakes on December 22, 2018, 05:11:40 PM
Best,
Fred

Well said, Fred. As usual. I'd love for them to make this reel in a Jigmaster 505/506  size.

Tom, Cortez Conversions, never ceases to amaze with his upgrades.

Frank

You just hit an old request to Penn

Bring the mini Baja

Lots of people would like a mini Baja, but according to some Penn said it would never happend the fathom 25n and torque are the " mini Baja"

I would prefer 3x better a real Baja Special in jigmaster 505 size
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

I love the Baja / US113.  However there is a smaller star drag put out by Penn that meets the criteria some of you are wanting. It's the Torque 25 & 25N star drags. Yes they are pricey. Buy once cry once.

Still I find the Torque star drag to be the best made. For some one who wishes to use one reel for several techniques this is it. Drag is smooth at higher settings & the ability to change gear ratios sets it apart from all others. This is a reel like the Baja / US113 that will last a life time... Jeff

Dominick

I have the Penn International Torque 100 and the 300.  I was in the market for a while to get the 200 also.  These three reels will cover almost every fishing situation.  Of course we like to take out the oldies.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

nelz

Quote from: Dominick on December 25, 2018, 12:09:51 AMI have the Penn International Torque 100 and the 300.  I was in the market for a while to get the 200 also.  These three reels will cover almost every fishing situation.  Of course we like to take out the oldies.  Dominick

Torque 100 rocks! Got mine dirt cheap when they phased them out. If ever there was a "mini tank"!...

Keta

Quote from: alantani on December 22, 2018, 04:22:43 AM
wow, they're pricey!!!!!  

Ouch!!!!  I think a Fathom 40NLD2 retails for $299 but these are US assembled.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain