Penn 430ss Pinion Gear Removal

Started by rg, September 11, 2011, 04:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rg

I am trying to do a full tear down/cleaning of a vintage Penn 430ss spinning reel. I have a problem that's driving me nuts! I can't remove the pinion gear from the reel housing. It won't budge. I think the shielded bearing above it needs to be removed to remove the pinion so I can finish my project. Do I have to remove the bearing retainer clip to get the pinion out? (I hope not because that's one of those parts that go  flying and are hard to reinstall without trashing it. Have tried wd-40 and reel oil to try to free it up to no avail). Any ideas? Want to get this Made in The USA reel back in almost new form.

alantani

here is the schematic.  

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/430ss.pdf

you mean the ball bearing that is key #20, right?  it has a retaining ring (key #21) that has to come out.  after that, it has to pry straight up.  there is no other way.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tile

Use a fish hook to pry the retainer out starting from one end and after you got it out half way you can grab it and take it out. Then you can remove the pinion gear and bearing as a whole. 
In solid fiberglass we trust

Alto Mare

Hello rg,
although this is a different reel, the retaining ring is similar to the 430SS.... nice little reel by the way, I have a couple 430SS  myself. Having the schematic plus a couple of pictures should make things a little easier for you. Go for it, it's not that hard. If you get jammed, we're here to help ;). Take care. Sal

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2180.msg11851#msg11851
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 11, 2011, 06:19:21 PM
Go for it, it's not that hard. If you get jammed, we're here to help ;). Take care. Sal

Sal:  RG needs you to go to his garage and look for the retaining ring.  You said you'd help ;D.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Pescachaser on September 12, 2011, 03:08:17 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on September 11, 2011, 06:19:21 PM
Go for it, it's not that hard. If you get jammed, we're here to help ;). Take care. Sal

Sal:  RG needs you to go to his garage and look for the retaining ring.  You said you'd help ;D.  Dominick

Hey Dominick, I think you lost your retaining ring as well. How about if I send my buddy from Orinda over to your garage to give you a session. Do you have a sofa there? ;D ;D ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

rg

Thanks for the help! you guys are awesome! Is it hard to put the clip back on? That's always been my nemesis. Again really appreciate the help. It's a cool little reel and want her to be in perfect operation. Do you guys mess with the bearings themselves or leave that alone? Not sure if regreasing or oiling makes that big of a difference. Seems pretty smooth now.

Thanks!

Alto Mare

Quote from: rg on September 13, 2011, 07:17:31 PM
Thanks for the help! you guys are awesome! Is it hard to put the clip back on? That's always been my nemesis. Again really appreciate the help. It's a cool little reel and want her to be in perfect operation. Do you guys mess with the bearings themselves or leave that alone? Not sure if regreasing or oiling makes that big of a difference. Seems pretty smooth now.

Thanks!

rg, I'm glad that you're taking a chance servicing it, after a couple of take downs, you'll be a pro at it. You should have no problems putting the clip back, it's fairly easy. About the bearings, if they feel smooth I would leave them alone for now. Go for it and have fun ;). Sal

rg

Thanks Sal for the pics (and to everyone else). Very helpful. I'll try it tonight. I'll let you know how it turned out.

rg

Hi Everyone,

I did it. Got the bearing out and finished her cleaning up. Well, I should say "we". I couldn't get the bearing retainer clip back in and after a few nights thinking it through I thought "ah ha....fingernail". The problem is I have none as a habitual nail biter. The solution was my wife who popped it in in about 5 seconds.

Wow. The reel fells like brand new. I bought my first Penn 430ss (graphite) in 1992. I fished with it exclusively 4-5 days a week all through college and it finally gave out in 2010. (I wish I would have known about this website then!) I bought a new 430ssg (Made in China) after that and absolutely hated it. Just didn't feel the same and the bail spring blew 4 outings in. Fished other reels I had until I found the 430ss on Ebay. I just serviced and it is now smooth as silk. Can't thank you all enough. I absolutely love these reels for wading SW Michigan rivers and fishing for smallies. Plus, with all of your help I finally disassembled a Penn reel for the first time and know how it works. I am not a super mechanical type person and it's well... a great feeling to do something out of your comfort zone. Thanks again.

alantani

amazing.   you actually got your wife to help out?  this is the most help i've ever gotten out of mine!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

rg

Alan,

My wife and I cracked up over this! Your wife is very pretty by the way! (and patient with your passion)

Rich