small 2 speed

Started by fudgefish, September 11, 2011, 04:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fudgefish

Hi guys looking for a small 2 speed lever drag reel.
was thinking of
saltist 20
tyrnos 8
okuma andros
what you guys think of these reels
it will be used with 30lb braid at home and in norway for halibut

alantani

for the money, the tyrnos 8 two speed with a drag upgrade would be the best bet at $300.  the andros is a nicer reel but it costs $400.  both reels would hold 400 yards of 50# spectra. 

the 30# spectra is pretty light and is generally used on tiny single speed reeels, not these small two speeds.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

fudgefish

Thanks for the reply alan, you don't mention ths saltist is that because you dont rate them
iv'e got a few avet sx, is the andros a better reel ?

alantani

no.  stay away from the small daiwa lever drags.  too many corrosion issues.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

fudgefish

Are the saltigas the same ?

Nessie Hunter

I think I just saw  post at BD that Big 5 sporting goods??? had/has the Trynos on Sale
$149 for the 8 & 10 and up from there??????
Would have to look it up to see if it was Big 5???

Trynos is a great little 2 speed with lots of guts/power.....
Got to try some of the ones I put drags in last month on a 2 day trip...
Man I was very impressed!!   
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

JGB

I fish both the Saltist 20 2spd and the Andros 5 II

The Saltist 20 2spd will fish 400 yrds of 30# ultracast braid. It has a single anti reverse dog with no back up (they call it precision). You will need to service this reel to make it corrosion resistant.

Pro Small, less than $300, great fee spool once reworked, good drag at 24#
Con Needs to be corrosion serviced, single anti reverse, cast frame, round foam knob

Andros 5 II will fish 475 yrds of 50# ultracast braid. Machined frame and forged spool and side plate, Single screw tear down, 3 year warranty. This reel can be fished as a jigging reel as it's target rating is 50# but I feel it makes a better 40# reel.

Pro Small, machined aluminum, dual dog anti reverse, good free spool out of the box (superb if bearing cleaned and oiled), 42" retrieve in high, 3 year warranty
Con cost close to $400

The Saltist and the Andros are about the same physical size and weight (both very light) while the Andros has a larger spool and a lowered reel foot that makes it easier to palm.

I am converting over to the Andros. Replacing the Saltist 30 2 spd (equivalent capacity to the Andros). I believe the Andros will more than pay for it's self with longevity as compared to the die cast frame and riveted reel seat on the Saltis line up. Even the Saltiga's are single dog and riveted reel seats.

My 2 cents worth,
Jim N.

fudgefish

Thanks for the replys guys, the andros sounds a great reel is it as smooth as the saltists

JGB

The Andros is smoother. Larger drag disk and higher quality bearings. Greg a verteran deck hand on the Royal star tried it out and was especially impressed by  the Andros casting quality.

Jim N.

fudgefish

thanks Jim,
Looks like it's the andros then