TRQ25NLD2 2 Speed loss of freespool

Started by Bill Benrath, December 31, 2018, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Benrath

Took my reel apart using John Tuttle's tutorial. I didn't get into the pinion gear or main gears in the right side plate, as they had been serviced already.  I just took the left side plate and spool assembly apart leaving the four components; spool assembly, right side plate, left side plate, and frame. Here is a link to the schematic:

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/purefishing/407-TRQ25NLD2G

I took apart the spool to get to the spool bearings which I oiled with TSI321, which is all I wanted to do.

When I reassembled the reel I can't get any free spool.

I have taken the reel apart numerous times and the result is the same. Something I'm suspicious of is the spool, drag, drag plate assy. The drag cover (fig 156) is difficult to screw into the spool; I have to use the screws to pull it down onto the spool. This makes the drag plate press really hard on the drag washer which might not be correct. I have looked at the assmebly many times and I think I have it correct.

When the reel is assembled without the drag lever assembly there is no freespool but the handle turns the spool smoothly with the anti reverse dogs working properly. When I put the drag lever on, I have tried rotating the drag cam (fig 19) both directions to fit into the drag lever but neither one helps the free spool.

Any suggestions?

boon

This reel is a standard drawbar style drag where the cam pulls the entire spool assembly against the pinion gear which transmits pressure to the drag plate via the drive plate hub.

All the parts on the right side of the spool have to nest correctly into each other. If you have to force the drag cover into place then I wager that something isn't nesting properly.

Bill Benrath