Fishing is like a box of chocolates

Started by JRD, December 31, 2018, 09:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Sicker than a dog but wanting to fish I snuck in a last day of the year and season rock fish trip out of Dana Point.  Completely a bust with mini rock fish that caused me to reel in because I didn't want to kill fish for no reason.  Half way up from 220 my sardine gets slammed.  My AT.Com loaded squidder 146 is screaming.  Up to the anchor of course, past the landmines created by rent rodders who all get excited and won't move or even duck.  Sorry for a few knocked heads 😁.

Kept him out of the anchor and down the other side wrapping lines as we went.  The crew were on it and kept everyone with slack lines. 

The drag was set fairly light and every one was commenting on the whine created by Brian's 5 stack doing it's thing.

First gaff shot and the captain breaks a gaff on the Gill plate so off it goes again.  A few minutes later gaff 2 sinks home and it's over the rail.

20ish pound deep water YT to end the year.  Happy New Years!!

handi2

Great story, great hat, great fish, and great times to end the year.

Congrats

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Very nice, a great way to end the year.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Awesome Randy, way to finish strong!

Too bad it wasn't on the Mag 10. Think it could have handled it??
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Swami805

Way to make lemonade! Nice fish on a squidder no less. Happy new year!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

JRD

Quote from: xjchad on December 31, 2018, 10:28:35 PM
Awesome Randy, way to finish strong!

Too bad it wasn't on the Mag 10. Think it could have handled it??

That's.funny Chad I was thinking the same thing.  The 10 was in the rack with a lighter sinker.  Same drags, same sleeve hmmm?  I'm gonna say yes but it will have to wait until 2019 to see.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Congratulations Randy!  Beautiful fish. That must have been quite a shock when your handle stopped. I hope that your 2019 starts just like your 2018 ended. Happy New Year!

TOR

David Hall

congratulations on ending the year with a bang instead of whimper like I did.  had hoped for decent weather to fish the final day of rock fish but it didn't happen.  Instead Im home drinking good whisky and cooking up 14lbs of USDA prime rib roast all 7 bones.  Maybe a card game later.

Tiddlerbasher

Dominick

YT, way to go.  Now that's a Happy New Year.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gfish

Cooooool! Like Handi said: Great story!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Benni3

Nice fish and great job fighting him,,,,that sounds like a fantastic trip ;D

Jim Fujitani

Nice YT, on a rock fish trip! 

Jackpot?  Or maybe the boat didn't have one organized for a rock fish trip.... but the deckhands would have loved an extra tip bonus!

JRD

Quote from: Jim Fujitani on January 01, 2019, 06:15:05 PM
Nice YT, on a rock fish trip! 

Jackpot?  Or maybe the boat didn't have one organized for a rock fish trip.... but the deckhands would have loved an extra tip bonus!

I never get in the JP, too competitive and it ruins my fishing karma, but yes they were taken care of as always.  I had my normal $20 breakfast burrito ($6 plus tip) and then $10 ($2 plus tip) for the fillet.