Main Menu

DHU FISH

Started by wallacewt, September 12, 2011, 09:51:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

our quest was for some  DHU FISH.cousin of the pearl perch.according to all west australians is the best eating fish in the world and any other big place for that matter!grows to 50kg,20kgs is the magic starting #.2 fish per boat is the max no matter how many fishermen on board.only grows in wa.
1.12/9/2011.full moon,20knot wind,strong current,2.5m seas.
2.dawesville cut,start of 30mile off shore run. (see photo 1)
3.1st 2 stops,10min drift,zilch.
4.1 hr run out wider,fish bait,701 silstar,750ss,25lb mono and im on.8kg released. (see photo 2 & 3)
5.skippers on,steves on im on triple hook up,15kg ugly,fin_nor ma20,40lb braid,2 over 15/20kg,release the rest. (photo 4 / 5 / 6 / 7)
6.thats it for the the day so lets have fun.plastics everyone. (8 / 9/ 10 / 11 / 12)
7.2 more and a samson fish.all released.
8.i hook a  samson on the marqesa,now i will find out how it performs.good battle,i win.released.
9.1pm,seas up,winds up,3hr run home,whales and their babies all heading south.
10.every night i go down on my knees and say thank you capt cook for finding Ostralee.  
11. Wash up and processed (13 / 14)
12. photos to follow.

Taily

Love the post! That's one beautiful fish we don't get (but as you point out we do get pearlies) over here in the east.

Those of you wondering what is being referred to as a Sampson... it is very like Amberjack... but a more brutal version on steriods, and yep, them Wazzies (West Australians) get them in XXXL sizes over in the West (insert jealous icon here... ;) )

Can't wait for the pics!  :o

Dave
Nunc est bibendum....

wallacewt

redsetta

Great stuff Wallace - what a day!
Some cracker fish and deservedly happy fishos.
Good to see a Penn SS doing some of the grunt work, too.
Cheers for sharing
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

wallacewt

hi justin.1st time ive used that 750ss in 20yrs or more.alto mare(sal) sent me spare dog and spring and i upgraded to twin dogs.it worked a treat,25lb mono on it.

redsetta

Excellent. Just doing the same to my 9500 - good to hear it all worked out well!
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Excellent report Wallace! Watching you on how relaxed you looked while in action on that boat tells me that you did that a few times before ;D. I'm glad that you decided to use that Penn SS, I wish that I was beside you on that boat with my Penn SS ( I'm jealous ). Tell me a little more about that rod that you used with the SS, I think I counted 10 eyes on it. Thanks for sharing Wallace, good fish, good gear... all good. Talk to you later. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wallacewt

ah the rod,its an experimental rod im working on.to be used with both spin and conventional reels.to restrict carrying a lot of fishing gear.you could have 4 reels and 2 rods.say like on a charter,small boat,plane travel etc;.you,ll notice the 1st 3 guides are close together to choke down the loops coming off a spin reel quickly,flip it over for o/h reel.what ive noticed is that you can get more drag with a spin reel than an o/h,6lbspin 5lb o/h before it touches the blank.hence the 10 guides.its a silstar 701 blank,extended aluminium handle.i dont use leaders at all,ugly stiks act as the shock absorber,no knots through the guides,braid to swivel.just a small trace of mono,fluoro in shallow water,brass ring on one end,3"bimini 12 turn twist,palomar knot to crane or ball bearing swivel with hawiian clip for quick change to lure,live bait etc.swivel is small enough to pass thru guides without the h/clip so you dont ever have to cut the line or retie.to be continue im sure

Alto Mare

Very nice Wallace, That does makes sense. I did some research on the silstar, it appears to be a nice blank for the momey. Another thing I wanted to ask you < is that SS coming with you  on another one of your trips?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Wallace: To dhu or not to dhu that is the question.  We dhu fish here and when we dhu we hope the fish are dhu, dhu to not waiting for too long for a fish that is sometimes long over-dhu. ;D Dominick

P.S. Sal got the grand kids to watch, so no Zin.
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wallacewt

oh my pesca,only in america,haha

wallacewt

alto mare
not sure sal,ive been expreimenting and restricting myself to 2 outfits per trip and work em non stop.lots of balls ups and fun.thanks to this site.750ss+ma20 went good.i was surprised how well the ma20 and $50 ugly worked'the fish pulled 12lb drag 1/2 doz times and never looked like winning,not even on points in 45m depth.long silstar rod(7.8")is needed.i fish port side corner and have to reach around the o/b motor when we drift.the young blokes(under60) work the drogue,gaff,net,etc from star;side.3 fishermen,skipper,deckie,me.next trip andros+daiwa spin(heavy50lb)heavy seas at the moment.