What,s your fish worth?

Started by gstours, January 05, 2019, 05:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cor

Quote from: steelfish on January 08, 2019, 08:16:24 PM
Quote from: Cor on January 05, 2019, 10:59:15 PM
My fish is relatively cheap.   I have stopped buying tackle other then consumables and my biggest expense is probably the cost of driving my van 37 miles every time I go.

Personally I don't have much economic value any longer. ???

I might be wrong, but didnt you have 3  tranx reels?

thats like using a rolls royce just to go for bread to the supermarket.  ;D ;D
Yeah right.   Rub that one in, as it is I have a love hate relationship with those reels.    Wife has to pay for them, otherwise she wont get anymore fish to eat ;D ;D

Quote from: philaroman on January 08, 2019, 11:19:18 PM
you guys are looking at it wrong:

fishing is recreation, so you compare the expense to other recreation -- not, work or inactivity!

if I had sought different diversions, for all the time I spent fishing...  I don't even wanna go there :o

a bar-tab/bail/legal-fee saved, is a WHOLE LOTTA' PENNIES EARNED   ;)

...plus, FREE fish   ;D ;D ;D

This is probably the best way to look at it.

As I said above I spend fairly little on my hobby now,  what has been sunk over the years is still useful and I make and repair all my own stuff.
I stocked up on piles of line 5 years back.

The substitute saving by all the fish we eat, nearly covers my cost.
Cornelis

David Hall

Quote from: Brewcrafter on January 09, 2019, 03:16:21 AM
I am loving this thread!  One time SWMBO did bring up the point with me (as she looked around my workshop, gazing at my modest gear assortment) that financially, wouldn't I be ahead not only if I just bought the fish, but for that matter if we went out to a restaurant and paid somebody else to make it?  Not wanting her to adopt that kind of attitude, I tried a diversionary tactic of pointing out that she could go inside our house and take a shower with a bar of soap, or (handing her an Emergency Gift Certificate that I keep hidden in my roll away "In Case of My Stupidity") she could go to the local spa with one of her friends and relax in luxury...

Im thinking that move is pure genius!  well played.

scrinch

Yeah, I can look at it two ways. Either I paid $40/lb for salmon and halibut last August, and $70/lb for yellowtail last September, and I got free vacations to Alaska and Mexico; or I paid for vacations to Alaska and Mexico and then came home with free fish. Which view I take depends on who I'm talking to. When my wife sees the price of salmon in the supermarket, I talk about how wonderful that vacation to Alaska was, and how nice it was to come home with all that free fish!  ;)

pjstevko

I look at it this way......

It relieves stress, puts my mind at ease and reinvigorates my soul so my fish is priceless!

Donnyboat

Its like comparing, apples & cheese, I always seem to have my hand in the pocket, with maitaning the boat, but Patricia, my 53 year wife, & I, went drop netting for blue swimmers crabs on Wednesday after noon, our quota is ten each, we caught the 20, then we met up with our long time mate, & went net fishing, with the two nets, we are aloud, 30 fish/net.
       well I caught my quota of fish, & pulled the net in, then giving Barry a hand to get his net out of the water, as he already had 22 fish, by the time we took all the crabs out of the net, we had another 43 fish, totally illegal to keep more than our quota, but what a good day for our relaxation & to heal the sol, then I was thinking on the way home, your not aloud to take any crabs from the net, & keep them, so the crabs we caught earier with the drop nets, we should not have had them on board when net fishing. but a good time we had, arrived back home around midnight. what price would you put on that days leshure, cheers Don.   
Don, or donnyboat