What,s your fish worth?

Started by gstours, January 05, 2019, 05:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here is a little newsclip,  could be true?   Wow?
Tuna sells for record $3 million in auction at Tokyo's new ...
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/05/tuna-sells-record-3-million-auction-tokyos-new-fish-market/

13 hours ago ยท The owner of a Japanese sushi restaurant chain on Saturday set a record by paying more than $3 million for a bluefin tuna in the year's first auction at Tokyo's new fish market, exceeding his own ...

David Hall

I figure the value of my fish based on my investment in gear to catch them  I have worked out the following table.

1. King Salmon  $850.00/lb.
2. Dungeness Crab  $325.00 per crab.
3. Rock Fish   $225 per pound.
4. Tuna  $650.00 per pound.
naturally as I catch more of them the price per pound goes down.......a bit...

Rivverrat

I've caught some very expensive catfish.

I figure with the boat I used to have, well over a $1000 a lb. Then I got smart realizing I didn't need that much boat to enjoy catching my favorite fish. 25 - 35 mph was plenty fast & suited me much better. Heck the canoe was enjoyable....   Hell, who was I racing at these win it all or die speeds anyways ?

There's a boat ramp every 10 miles on the river &... why do one of the things I love most at these "yes this Could / Will hurt speeds"

It had become more about that boat than enjoying my fishing.  Heck we only live until we die.

So different boat, slowed down, & my fish cost less & the profit margin is much greater. Oh & sometimes its much better hiking in to fish my spots any ways... Jeff  

oc1

I value fish based on the lost opportunity cost.... the money I would have made if I had been working instead of fishing.  Every fish I catch costs me at least a grand.
-steve

Maxed Out

Fishing is good for the soul......and you can't put a price on that !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

David Hall

Quote from: oc1 on January 05, 2019, 08:50:08 PM
I value fish based on the lost opportunity cost.... the money I would have made if I had been working instead of fishing.  Every fish I catch costs me at least a grand.
-steve

I was in Costco the other day and they had my favorite Chillean Sea Bass AKA the Patagonian toothfish.  I used to get 6 filets for 29.00. then they disappeared for a year or so from the shelves, they recently came bak at the same 6 filets for 74.99, then a few weeks ago I saw them for 29.00 so I bought two bags, a lady commented that is some expensive fish, I could only chuckle to myself, if she only knew.  When I got home and went to put the bags in the freezer I noticed now there's only 4 filets in a bag. still cheaper than catching it myself, and I don't even know where Patagonia is?

Dominick

Quote from: Maxed Out on January 05, 2019, 09:42:50 PM

Fishing is good for the soul......and you can't put a price on that !!

Ted

Oh yeah, just ask the devil.   :D ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

MarkT

That $3mm price is for the first auction of the year. It won't be anywhere near that for the rest of the year.

Patagonia is southern Argentina.  Patagonian toothfish is found in the southern oceans all around the globe at between 150 - 12000 feet deep. I'd drop in 150-250' but not deeper than that without an electric reel!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Cor

My fish is relatively cheap.   I have stopped buying tackle other then consumables and my biggest expense is probably the cost of driving my van 37 miles every time I go.

Personally I don't have much economic value any longer. ???

If I were allowed to sell the fish I catch I would break more then even.

ADDED SOMETHING ABOUT BOATS
I don't own one and frankly would not like to and every time it crosses my mind I look in the mirror and ask myself if I am totally crazy now!    It's not only a cost thing, also the amount of energy that goes in to it.    I do some maintenance on my friends, this is ongoing an non stop and nothing you need to fix or replace ever cost less then $100-00 and often many multiples of......
Fuel is around $100-00 per trip for 2 X Suzuki 4 stroke 90's, sometimes much more.
Every year you need to pay survey fees for the safety certificates
Launching and club membership fees
Annual service of motors $380-00
Buying the boat is the least of your worries, maintaining it is the big expense.

Cornelis

Alto Mare

Gas for truck and boat is about $100 per trip, more if I count food and beverages.
Marina slip is not included.
When the Blue Crabs are abundant on the Chesapeake, I come up ahead, but the past few years has been slow.

I do not sell them, I meant I wouldn't need to buy them. The extra jumbo Blue Crab could run close to $70 a dozen at times.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

David Hall

I add in everything, boat payment, slip fees, maintenance and upgrades, all my gear, all my gas, everything except time off work. If I added that in I might have second thought about my choice of hobbies.  And I thought hunting was expensive?  No where near fishing.

steelfish

Quote from: Cor on January 05, 2019, 10:59:15 PM
My fish is relatively cheap.   I have stopped buying tackle other then consumables and my biggest expense is probably the cost of driving my van 37 miles every time I go.

Personally I don't have much economic value any longer. ???

I might be wrong, but didnt you have 3  tranx reels?

thats like using a rolls royce just to go for bread to the supermarket.  ;D ;D
The Baja Guy

Hardy Boy

My fish is not too bad after owning the boat for 20 years and the fact that its economical to run, we still have a free launch, don't have to run far, and I'm fairly successful but it would still be many dollars a pound (I don't want to figure it out). Now if you want really expensive meat you take up hunting !!............... like Jeff Foxworthy said  he provides his family with the most expensive meat that money can buy !! none of that cheap stuff like lobster.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

philaroman

you guys are looking at it wrong:

fishing is recreation, so you compare the expense to other recreation -- not, work or inactivity!

if I had sought different diversions, for all the time I spent fishing...  I don't even wanna go there :o

a bar-tab/bail/legal-fee saved, is a WHOLE LOTTA' PENNIES EARNED   ;)

...plus, FREE fish   ;D ;D ;D

Brewcrafter

I am loving this thread!  One time SWMBO did bring up the point with me (as she looked around my workshop, gazing at my modest gear assortment) that financially, wouldn't I be ahead not only if I just bought the fish, but for that matter if we went out to a restaurant and paid somebody else to make it?  Not wanting her to adopt that kind of attitude, I tried a diversionary tactic of pointing out that she could go inside our house and take a shower with a bar of soap, or (handing her an Emergency Gift Certificate that I keep hidden in my roll away "In Case of My Stupidity") she could go to the local spa with one of her friends and relax in luxury...