Help--how to remove the two spool bearings for Duel 12 speedy reel

Started by Ronn, September 14, 2011, 07:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronn

Hello.
I got an older Duel 12 speedy reel with a serial # 1113 which who know when it was built.  I got it off ebay and it is in mint condition.  Now since the reel is pretty much new but never been service I took it out fishing couple times and found the free spool to be not up to par for my liking.  I took the spool off the reel and it looks like the bearings are press fitted into the spool.  I tried to remove the bearings off the spool last night using a modified tool similar to one that Alan made in one of his post and I could not get those bearings out.  My question is, how much force can I applied to the side of the bearings when I try to pull them out without damaging them?   What is the technique in pulling these bearings out?  And finally how to open the bearings out to clean?  I don't see any clip on the bearings...may be it is on the other side.

Has anyone service a Duel 12 speedy?  I need to know what I should look for when I take it apart. It doesn't appear to be very complicated but I want to take it apart to clean and relube.  Thanks.

Ronn

locknut

Hi Ron
I am not sure if this will help. However I have a bunch of Duel reels 6/0s and 9/0s no speedys though and I am not sure if they have the same multi plate drags but  the older game reels CF ring that the drag material is attached to is made of lets say cardboard though it isn't but its soft and absorbs grease oils and water and swells up thus limiting free spool. You can machine down the drag plates but this isn't really the answer or only is in the short term. If the drags are the same and this is the problem I have had to replace the CF rings with stainless ones that I have to get made as the part is no longer availble. But hey it might just be the bearings though check how they run before taking any drastic possibly damaging actions. Good luck

redsetta

G'day Ronn,
Schematic here: http://www.bluewater.net.au/catalog/images/duel_speedy_12_2007.pdf
They're great light game reels and it'll no doubt serve you well.
Regarding bearing maintenance, there's a vast amount of discourse on the site, but Alan's post is the best place to start: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13.0
What I've done in the past is slide the spool shaft back in and rest it against the inside edge of the far bearing, then tap the shaft gently (ideally with a nylon hammer or something that won't damage the shaft) so you're effectively pushing the bearing out, rather than pulling.
Once that's out, reverse and repeat.
Hope that's of some assistance.
Let us know how you go.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Ronn

Thanks both of your guys for giving me suggestions.  The 12 speedy drag has the drag washer glued to the spool.  That how it looks to me.  Right now even though it free spool so so it still casts pretty good.  I want to clean out the bearings to give it more potential.  Thanks for the tip Justin, I will try to take the bearings out using your technique.  I have to go find nylon hammer.  I may look for nylon rod or something similar to tap out the bearings.  I am too afraid to use the shaft to tap out the bearings. 

I ordered another Duel 12 today direct from Italy.  I emailed back and forth with the tech person there for the last few days and asked the guy how much it costs to buy direct.  It only cost $280 (include shipping!) for a new duel 12 speedy reel.  I ordered a black one so I have to wait a month to get it.  That is a lot cheaper than buying here let say at Melton international where it costs $480 or so.  If your guy want a duel reel you can try contact them direct through the email on their website.  They are very helpful and answer my question very quickly. 

Ronn

alantani

ronn, chances are that the spool was machined to give the bearings a "slip" fit, then the spool was anodized and a couple of thousanths worth of material is added.  suddenly, a slip fit becomes a "pressed" fit and you have problems like this.  you can go in VERY carefully with a dremmel and a sanding wheel and remove that material, but you seriously have to be careful. 

first, you have to remove the bearings.  the more force you need, the more likely you are to damage the bearings.  so it is unavoidable.  pound out the bearings, sand out the anodizing to make the bearing cups a slip fit like they are supposed to be, toss the old bearings, clean and lube the new bearings, and slip them in.  sorry.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ronn

Hi Alan,
I haven't try Justin technique yet but I am very temping to ask  you if I can ship the reel to you to have it work on.  I don't know how old the reel is but the serial # is 1113.  So it is pretty old  but still feel like a new reel.  I used to work at a machine shop but now I got a new job and I have no access to specialize tools.  Is there a possiblity that you have time to work on my reel?  I am not going to sent it to you now but may be during the winter when i can't fish anymore.  If you have time please give me your address and I will send it to you.  For now I will leave it as is. 

Thanks Alan.

Ronn

alantani

that would be fine.  if you've had the reel as far apart as i think, you should be able to finish it up. it's just that having to remove a bearing that is firmly pressed in will insure it's destruction when you hammer it out.  not your fault.  it's a manufacturing issue.  tolerances were just too tight.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!