penn 8500 ss manual pick up

Started by garrett6756, September 15, 2011, 06:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garrett6756

Can you just cut the bail wire to make this reel have a manual pick up?  The kit to do so is discontinued.  It seems easy enough but... the bail wire spins on the part that buts up to the line roller (when un-assembled) so the bail wire would need to be trimmed flush?  I think??  I assume i could pull the bail wire out of the other side and re attach that part.  The picture of the kit shows about 1" of the bail wire still there.  Hope that made sense.

THANKS
GARRETT

Alto Mare

Hello Garrett and welcome.
Yes you could cut the wire to convert the reel into a bail less, but you'll need to get creative. In most cases the rotor will wobble afterwards, you will then need to find a way to balance it, some use stainless steel washers. The bail less kit comes with a counterweight. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

garrett6756

Thank you!

Kinda what i was thinking.  I'll try to balance it best I can and see what happens.

Should I cut the bail flush or leave some of the wire (like in the picture) and try to secure it somehow so it will not spin??

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com" (image file fixed) [/c

garrett6756

I think I'm going to try to cut the wire flush now that I think about it.  Leaving the 1" or so of wire and trying to secure it leaves 1 piece that could fail / brake and really screw me up.

Alto Mare

Good call Garrett, trying to secure the 1" wire is easier said than done. Give it a try cutting it flush, if it doesn't work a new bail is only around $11 at Scott's, or I could send you one. My 9500SS don't have the wire, here is a picture

Before you try adding any washers, test the reel and see if it wobbles, also, cast it a few times.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

garrett6756

Got it done.  No washers needed and works like a champ!  Could not be happier.  I like the roller in the picture for your 9500.  SWEET.  I would love to get something like that for my 8500. 

THANKS!
GARRETT

Alto Mare

Alto Mare

Quote from: garrett6756 on September 16, 2011, 07:15:24 PM
Got it done.  No washers needed and works like a champ!  Could not be happier.  I like the roller in the picture for your 9500.  SWEET.  I would love to get something like that for my 8500. 

THANKS!
GARRETT

Hello Garrett, sorry I just realized that I didn't answer your comment on the 9500 kit. Unfortunatlely these kits will only fit the 9500ss, these kits come with the bail arm, but no roller and yes they are sweet. The 8500 is actually a 7500, with the exception of the spool and rotor, everything else is the same. The couter balance on the 9500ss will fit your reel, but I don't think it's woth it for you to spend they money to just replace it. Take care. Sal

garrett6756

I'm tempted to order the manual pick up for a 9500 and try to fab. it for a 8500. 

Part # 34A (bail arm bushing) and # 31 (bail arm screw) seem to be the same part from the 8500 to the 9500......???????????

Wishfull thinking I guess.

Alto Mare

It won't work right out of the box, I've tried already.  I'm sure that it could work with a little tweaking, anything is possible. I didn't spend too much time on it, I didn't need to. Good luck to you if you decide to go for it. Let us know how you make out.

OK I just installed the 9500ss kit on a 850ss. The only way you'll be able to do it is to keep the bail arm from the 850SS. It looks great and spinns great but I can't tell you if it works, I did not test it. The space between the line roller and the bail arm is narrower, but I don't believe that it would be a problem. If I get a chance this week I will put some line on  it and test it.

Alto Mare

Garrett, I came home early today and was able to check the kit out. I was only able to cast about 70 yds, I didn't want to break anybody's windows ;D. The reel was working fine, I installed the 9500 kit on the 850ss keeping the 850ss bail arm. I did noticed a little issue, when I was reeling in I noticed that the line did not wind all the way up to the spool  lip, but we're only talking 2 mm and I'm not sure if it would couse a problem. The line itself was level on the spool , but again I was only casting 70 yds. I measured both line rollers, the 9500 is 2mm taller than the 850, and that's how far the line winds on the spool from the lip at its lowest point. I hope that this is helpful to you, if you did want to try it for yourself go to Scott's at mysticparts.com. This is what you will need: Manual bail kit part # 69-9500, you will also need Parts # 35,35A,36A,46A and 132-706. The total cost of all the parts is about $40 + shipping. The cost of the kit alone for the 9500ss is $27.75 + shipping. Let me know how you make out. Sal

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

garrett6756

WOW! thanks.  Very helpfull! I ordered everything (that i thought i needed) the other day and should get it tomorrow.  I have a ton of extra 8500 and 9500 parts.  I think i'm good to go.  A question for you sir... why would i need the line roller and line roller bering for a 9500?  I kinda assumed that the manual bail kit came with all that by the looks of the picture.

THANKS AGAIN
GARRETT

Alto Mare

Hello Garrett, all manual pick up kits do no come with line rollers. You could have ordered the line roller but I believe that the line roller with the bearing will make things a little easier, I also recommended theroller screw, the screw from the 850SS is too long and  won't work with the kit. Take care. Sal

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer