4/0 stainless gears???

Started by Pier-Rat, September 16, 2011, 01:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pier-Rat

I have stumbled on a VERY lightly used 4/0, with aluminum spool. I was thinking I should really help it out  ;D and get a Tiburon frame, and new drag washers.

However, I'm kind of new to this, so I would like to know where I could get some stainless gears online.

Is there anything else I should upgrade on the reel?

Thanks!
-Kevin

redsetta

G'day and welcome Pier-Rat,
This thread might offer some insight on upgrades: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2725.0
It's focused on the 6/0, but the insights and advice are still valid...
The stock pinion is stainless and the main gear (manganese-bronze alloy) is likely be strong enough as is, depending on what you're after and how you chase it.
If you're after a higher retrieve ratio, then by all means.
They're great reels...
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

broadway

Normally Charkbait, but they're out of stock until Newell gets some more made up.
Try ebay, but they're like $70 on there.
Dom

Alto Mare

Hello Kevin, welcome!
If you're considering increasing the gear ratio to 4:1, you would then go with the Newell gears, but as Dom mentioned they're not easy to get. If you're ok with the 3.25:1 gear ratio, the stock gears are strong enough... as Justin mentioned, as long as you use the reel at what it was ment to be used at. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.