2 dogs in a 349h

Started by Swami805, January 24, 2019, 04:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Thought I'd try adding a second dog to a 349h. I had some extra parts laying around from doing the Cortez kit, found a NOS Newell spool for cheap on fleabay (figured it wasn't a narrow 6/0 as listed) a frame from CC and a drag insert from motive fab. I don't have the tools or skills for anything fancy so it's kinda of a hack job. Anyway I had a side plate to trash, a dog from a 49, a yoke spring and the gear sleeve pin from a 9/0.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Swami805

Next I dremeled the sideplates, multiple times to get everything to fit, not much left there but I think enough. I drilled a hole (well 3 holes, 3's a charm right?) for a pin to hold the end of the dog spring. A little filing on the pin for a groove to hold the spring on the pin. Then some filing on the dog to get it to fit. Put it together using the bridge screw to pivot the dog. It actually works!!

Swami805

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I have another side plate and 49 dog so I'm going to do it over so I leave more material on the side plate and try to get the dog to sit flush. It's alternating which is what I was shooting for. Pretty much a hack job but got rid of most of the handle slop
Thanks for looking and any help from the pros is welcome
Sheridan
And thanks for the beautiful walnut handle knob Sal, fits perfect on this reel!!

Darin Crofton

Cool build, Sheridan, and such a great find on the spool, I really dig the overall look of it!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Alto Mare

Very nice job Sheridan, it isn't an easy one, but you've shown it can be done.
I've forgotten about that knob, it is the very first one I made :).
Thanks for showing us how its done.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

That's a killer build Sheridan! I fancied the red over maroon side plates in general for a long time, I spose because they are newer, but I now I'm on the side of maroon with black trimmings- maybe reminds of the pair of Broadbill Specials I bought 20 years ago, I dunno.  Something stealthy and ole skool about it.

John

mo65

Quote from: Swami805 on January 24, 2019, 04:29:33 AM
I don't have the tools or skills for anything fancy so it's kinda of a hack job. 

Don't look like no hack job to me...I think it came out nice! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

Thanks Guys. I have another plate so I'll do it over without so many holes for the pin,HAHA.  A 1st edition Sal knob, I like it!
Anyone know if lug blanks are available anywhere? Not a fan of those big harness lugs sticking out the top so I left them open which isn't good. I could use 2 sets. I have a set 4/0 size I'd trade if anyone is looking.
Thanks

Keta

Looks good but I'd file off the end of the 15-49 to get better engagement, remove the red so the tip fits the gear sleeve ratchet better.  Ideally a longer AR 49 dog filed to fit would work better but they are not available as of now.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Swami805

Thanks Lee, I was planning to use a fresh dog and file it to get it flush to the dog. Not enough meat left on this one to keep it alternating.

Keta

Do you have one?  I might have a stock one somewhere but no telling where.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

jurelometer

Looks like a fun project.  A couple things to think about:

1.   The bridge plate needs a flat surface to rest on to ensure that it does not twist under load or transfer all the load to one point on the side plate.    It is hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like the supporting surface was removed for one side of the bridge plate.

2. The dog engagement needs to be tangent to  the ratchet tooth rotation.   Imagine a circle that  goes through the centers of all of the ratchet teeth.  Now make a  line that goes through the center of the dog post that is tangent to the circle.    When a ratchet tooth hits the tangent line, the dog surface should mate completely with the ratchet tooth- nice and flat.  If the engagement gets too far below the tangent line, the dog is basically wedging itself into the "V" between the teeth.  Many custom second dog designs have this issue because it is often more convenient to position the dog post in a non-optimal spot.  Also, it is best to have the dog tooth be as straight as possible, and not too far from the ratchet.

3.  Using the bridge screw for a dog post is a good idea in that the post is supported on both sides,  much better than a just a pin in the bridge plate,  as long as you can resolve items 1,2 from above. Otherwise, you might be better off relocating the dog post.

4.  Here is another double dog 349 build where the builder (MHC) actually tested the load.   If you want to attempt a test yourself, it is worth reading the reply from Sal about tightening down the star.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14241.msg147255#msg147255

-J

steelfish

thats pretty nice build Sheridan,

what model of newell comes with that V spool?
The Baja Guy

Reel 224

Nice one Sheridan, you know how to make yours.   

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."