Need HELP with International 20

Started by George4741, September 17, 2011, 03:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

I bought an International 20 that is in excellent shape.  No pitting or boat rash.  Having never seen this model reel before (or any other International, for that matter), I am somewhat overwhelmed by the size of it.  Anyway, I took it apart and found that it has the original 6-30 donut drag washer.  If I am to install the new upgraded drag washer and drag plate, I will have to invest in about $80 worth of parts.  Now the price I paid for the reel doesn't sound so reasonable.

Is the original drag suitable for fishing?  I'm not prepared to spend that kind of money to upgrade it.  Suggestions, anyone?
viurem lliures o morirem

Norcal Pescador

George -
I faced a similar situation on my Int'l 50. I got the 117DN-80 which is correct for the 50 and it was well worth it. The 117DN-30 should give you the drag plate and the Dura-Drag washer (better than the HT-100) in one bag. Call MizMo at Pennparts to confirm. Also, my bellevilles were soft so I had to replace them to get enough drag. The new ones were much beefier.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

regardless of the price, the old composite drag washers have to be replaced
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

George4741

Thank you for the advice.  I will upgrade the drag. (sigh)
This is my first foray into lever drag reels, so I'm unsure of what the Int'l 20 is good for.  I won't use it on a 2 day trip out of San Diego, as I just use the 6/0 reels that the boat provides for trolling.  Would this reel be suitable for fishing at Alijos Rocks?  What is the max weight spectra recommended for this reel?  With it's somewhat limited line capacity, what size tuna is it recommended for? 
Thank you,
George
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

small compact 2 speeds are the best bet at alijos.  there are several to choose from.  alan

George4741

Thanks Alan.

On another forum, it was suggested to one guy to put his Int'l 20 in a glass display case.  Maybe I'll do that.  It will be my most expensive wall flower.  haha
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

it's a tough call.  nice reel, but the new pocket rocket two speeds are so much better.

kamuwela

tough call but i say once upon a tme that was a quality reel. with a upgrade it will bring it up to par. but it may be serviced and used till ready to up grade. i think you will appreciate the upgrade after noticing the differnce. take a chance fix it up as much as your budget let's you and upgrade later if you like the reel.