Abu 6501c3 bearing issues

Started by Reel Newbie, January 30, 2019, 04:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Newbie

So I recently cleaned an abu 6501c3 I had gotten from a yard sale. Apart from some patina on the brass internals and a few scratches here and there, the reel is still smooth and cranks ok. The one issue I have is that even after cleaning out the spool bearings with carb cleaner and removing the shields, they don't spin dry for any more than a second. They don't rattle or make any sounds, so I doubt that the bearings are worn. Any thoughts?

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

Reel Newbie

Ooh pricey for a $10 reel.... any other ideas to clean it?

steelhead_killer

Just replace them.  Once they are gone there is no bringing them back to true form.

Quote from: Reel Newbie on January 30, 2019, 10:47:13 PM
Ooh pricey for a $10 reel.... any other ideas to clean it?
><)))">

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel Newbie

Ooooh that budget..... If only I could shell out that much in a pinch... Oh well, guess I'll just have to live with the slower bearings. Thanks for the replies.

mhc

Dawn at Smoothdrag sells a set (pair) of stainless 4x10x4 bearings that fit the C3 spools for $14.00 - I think Lee (Keta) meant the reel would be worth $50 with the new bearings - not cost $50.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Keta

Quote from: mhc on January 31, 2019, 07:41:49 AM
I think Lee (Keta) meant the reel would be worth $50 with the new bearings - not cost $50.

Yup, and it will fish for another 30 years if maintained.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain