Penn 501 Jigmaster Jr.

Started by Dan N., September 17, 2011, 05:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan N.

I hope you'll forgive me, but I'm feeling nostalgic...

I've been prepping my gear this week for an upcoming trip. While digging through my reel bag, I ran across an old friend...my old Penn 501 Jigmaster Jr.

I bought it at a swap meet for $20 in 1976. It was stock with a red plastic spool, and had obviously been used a bit. The price was reasonable, but it was still a big deal for me as I was working at the time for $1.65 an hour. By scrimping and saving, I was able to "trick it out" with a Newell replacement spool, posts and seat. I swapped out the drags (oiled leather if you can believe it) and finally was able to mate it to a Fenwick Pacificstick.

This was my first conventional rig. The one I learned to cast with...and the one I learned how to dig out bird nest with. ;D
My buddy and I would take the ½ day boat out of Redondo Sport fishing whenever we could save enough money. The old "City of Redondo" had a "no rotation" policy, so we learned to get there when they opened and choose the coveted center-of-the-stern spots. On a good day, we'd get some Calicos and maybe a Bonita or two. A Yellowtail was considered quite the exotic rarity, and catching one was a major event.

When the El Nino of 1977 hit and the more exotic fish moved up from the south, the local fishing broke wide open. That year my buddy and I both hooked and landed a Yellowtail for the first time. I don't think I've ever felt a thrill while fishing quite like it since.

In now live in San Diego and have the opportunity to get out whenever I like. The quantity and quality of my gear has increased in line with my earning power (and learning to wrap rods was a help too). Hooking into a nice Bluefin on perfectly matched equipment, and a nice modern boat is what I daydream about to be sure. However, landing that Yellowtail back in 1977 still tops it. As they say, "Youth is wasted on the young".   

That old Pacificstick finally gave out on a nice Albacore about 7 years ago. To their credit, the new "Fenwick" company honored the lifetime warranty on the stick and shipped me a replacement.

I rarely use the reel anymore, but it still amazes me. It's certainly not a $400 Saltega, but while it has no bearings, and the spool isn't stock, it casts like a dream and the drag is smooth as silk. Not bad for a 30 + years old, $20 swap meet purchase. 
Qui Tacet Consentire - Silence gives consent

To a man that has only a hammer, the entire world looks like a nail - Abraham Maslow

Rare

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: dn120721 on September 17, 2011, 05:50:23 PM

This was my first conventional rig. The one I learned to cast with...and the one I learned how to dig out bird nest with. ;D

I rarely use the reel anymore, but it still amazes me. It's certainly not a $400 Saltega, but while it has no bearings, and the spool isn't stock, it casts like a dream and the drag is smooth as silk. Not bad for a 30 + years old, $20 swap meet purchase. 

After writing this, you know you want to toss some live bait on your next trip and reminisce. ;D ;D 
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Gman_WC

I'm feeling the love for the 501 also!
As a matter of fact the 506, 113hs narow, baja special, 349 all turn my crank.
I love he narrow penn's.
-gary
Walnut Creek, CA