Pflueger contender spinning reel anti reverse

Started by Rkfool, February 04, 2019, 10:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rkfool

Hello all first post on this forum so let me thank anybody that responds in advance. My time on sol has led me to the discovery of this site. My issue is this ten or so year old spinning reel where the anti reverse has failed and I cannot for the life of me figure out why, or what the problem with it is to fix it. I have exhausted my google searches and came up with almost no information on this reel whatsoever ever. I will post some pictures and hopefully (I'm begging lol) somebody will have some experience with this reel or similar anti reverse systems. I cannot figure out what position the "spring" goes or what mechanisms make the pawl swing out to catch those teeth on the rotor. I have tried assembling it about ten different ways to no avail

festus

Welcome to this fantastic site, hope you stay awhile.

My stepson left a Contender combo in our garage a year or so ago before he passed away.  I don't know anything about this reel other than it was never used and probably isn't ten years old.

BUT after removing the rotor, you can see its A/R setup is completely different than your's.  Sorry this doesn't help, hopefully someone else has seen something similar to your's.

philaroman

don't know this model, but it looks like the A/R dog(pawl), when activated, should go OUT to catch teeth on the rotor (instead of the more common/older design, where the dog goes IN to hit teeth on a ratchet at the center)...  the way you have the dog installed & restricted by that little post, doesn't look like it could ever reach the teeth

figure out the correct position & range of motion for the dog (may need to be flipped and/or go outside the post), then it'll be much easier to figure out how to attach the spring

Rkfool

Quote from: philaroman on February 04, 2019, 11:27:22 PM
don't know this model, but it looks like the A/R dog(pawl), when activated, should go OUT to catch teeth on the rotor (instead of the more common/older design, where the dog goes IN to hit teeth on a ratchet at the center)...  the way you have the dog installed & restricted by that little post, doesn't look like it could ever reach the teeth

figure out the correct position & range of motion for the dog (may need to be flipped and/or go outside the post), then it'll be much easier to figure out how to attach the spring
Which picture are you referencing, the top ones are mine the second post was a response to my question. This is my problem I cannot figure out the correct position or what would make the "dog" pawl swing out to catch the teeth

Dominick

Sometimes when I see these problems I wish I had the reel in my hand.  Did you try turning the dog over?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rkfool

Quote from: Dominick on February 05, 2019, 12:13:18 AM
Sometimes when I see these problems I wish I had the reel in my hand.  Did you try turning the dog over?  Dominick
I did lol like ten times. I've been sitting on this thing for over a week. It stopped working in 2016 sat for awhile before I've finally had a chance to break it open. Everything else is in great shape I'd hate to loose the reel over this. The only schematic I can fin is on e replacement parts and is super blurry and no help

Thanks all for your responses btw

festus

Quote from: Rkfool on February 05, 2019, 12:31:24 AM
The only schematic I can fin is on e replacement parts and is super blurry and no help

Thanks all for your responses btw
I found that schematic too, no help at all.

In the meantime I took mine apart, did a wipedown of the innards, applied some fresh grease and reassembled.  Very simple reel with one ball bearing on the pinion, a crosswind gear, crosswind block, and two plastic or nylon bushings on the main gear.

Midway Tommy

There is a slot in the rim on the rotor. I'd guess the long end of the spring is supposed to be in that slot. Make sure the spring is installed in the correct direction so that it tightens when reeled in reverse. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Rkfool

Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 05, 2019, 04:48:58 AM
There is a slot in the rim on the rotor. I'd guess the long end of the spring is supposed to be in that slot. Make sure the spring is installed in the correct direction so that it tightens when reeled in reverse. 
I will definitely take a look at this when I get home later. Thank you

chockpish

I've had the same problem, when a customer brought me a reel that he worked on! I think that the problem is that the dog and the collar that holds the spring are both upside down! I think also that there is a small spring that is held in place under the dog, which pulls back the dog after you start reeling again! In your picture, it seems to be missing! But I think it's the spring on the collar that activates the dog! The collar with the spring has to sit low on the dog! If not, when you start to reel, it pops out of the dog! Then the anti reverse doesn't work! Hope this works!

Tight lines and be safe!
Tight lines, be safe, fish hsard!

Rkfool

Quote from: chockpish on February 05, 2019, 02:37:56 PM
I've had the same problem, when a customer brought me a reel that he worked on! I think that the problem is that the dog and the collar that holds the spring are both upside down! I think also that there is a small spring that is held in place under the dog, which pulls back the dog after you start reeling again! In your picture, it seems to be missing! But I think it's the spring on the collar that activates the dog! The collar with the spring has to sit low on the dog! If not, when you start to reel, it pops out of the dog! Then the anti reverse doesn't work! Hope this works!

Tight lines and be safe!
I have been wondering whether there was supposed to be a tiny spring that I have been missing. I don't see it in the schematic but the only schematic I can find is very blurry and not helpful. The dog is in the same position it was in when I took the rotor off for the first time (or so says my memory). The thin "spring" and it's collar I do not remember which way was.

chockpish

That little finger, for lack of a better description, that sticks out on the side of the dog! That's where the thin spring fits into! The way it is on the picture, the thin spring can't fit! The dog has to be turned so the end of the thin spring fits in there!That's why I say it's upside down, and the collar that holds the thin spring has to be flipped also, so the end of the thin spring can ride as low as possible in the dog! The small spring that is usually under the dog where the screw holds it in place, retracts the dog when you start to reel again! Like I mentioned in my post, my customer had put these parts on his reel upside down, it took me a few hours to figure it out! Hope this helps!
Tight lines, be safe, fish hsard!

Rkfool

Quote from: chockpish on February 06, 2019, 12:15:29 AM
That little finger, for lack of a better description, that sticks out on the side of the dog! That's where the thin spring fits into! The way it is on the picture, the thin spring can't fit! The dog has to be turned so the end of the thin spring fits in there!That's why I say it's upside down, and the collar that holds the thin spring has to be flipped also, so the end of the thin spring can ride as low as possible in the dog! The small spring that is usually under the dog where the screw holds it in place, retracts the dog when you start to reel again! Like I mentioned in my post, my customer had put these parts on his reel upside down, it took me a few hours to figure it out! Hope this helps!
I do think your on to something and more than likely correct about it being upside down, now I wonder if I can find a spring to fit in there. I will flip everything and see what happens. Thanks a lot for your insight!! I will be stoked if I can get this thing running again

Rkfool

so I ended up finding one for sale randomly on ebay and bought that sucker.  All for the purpose of taking apart to see what the heck is going on in there and if I, missing something or what  Thanks for ill the help, ill post my results if anyone's interested lol

festus

Sure, we're interested. Whenever l buy an old reel that l like l usually buy a second of the same model simply because usually parts are no longer available.