The Jigmaster 500S

Started by mo65, February 06, 2019, 06:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

I can't believe as long as I've collected reels this is my first S model Jiggy...what rock have I been under?? What a cool reel! The design, the look, the quality of parts, all add up to a great value. This reel had chrome plated parts under the hood as well as on the body. The bridge, jack, and eccentric all were chromed. I'm not sure if all had a steel main, but this one does. And that fantastic red spool...yes...the 500S is a looker.
   One of the problems though, is all that chrome is inviting corrosion. Many of these reels are trashed from users not rinsing them well after use. Ebay is loaded with crusty S models. I got lucky and found this one before it got snapped up. This seller photo is pretty good for a change. It appears the reel is probably unused.

Sellers spray these reels down with WD-40 or Armour All and from a distance all looks well. A closer inspection reveals the truth...that unused reel has indeed been used. Although the damage is minimal, if left unchecked, this corrosion will continue to eat up the reel. Just wiping with an oily rag won't help, that corrosion needs neutralized. A simple vinegar bath will stop the chemical process.

Trying to remove the "Take Apart" tail plate can often be tough on these. Mine was compounded by a bent pin. The red arrow points to the offending pin.

Here's my quick easy fix for the bent pin. Just slip a small wrench over the pin and use it to bend it back into position. Be careful though! Bent lightly...it moves easier than you think.

Another common issue discussed many times is the eccentric spring catching on the jack. The yellow arrow points to the damage...the blue arrow points to the source.

A quick spin of the Dremel solves that pesky problem!

Since this reel will be on my shelf I left all internals stock. The one single modification was a .005 shim behind the gear sleeve...only because a clunking handle drives me mad.

With the head plate reassembled all that chrome really does look cool. 

All in all, at a glance, the reel looks no different than it did when I received it. But a savvy collector knows this one will last forever, while the one with corroded screws is living on borrowed time. 8) 

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

Good work, and great pics along with an informative narrative.

The Jigmaster, in whatever model it happens to be — IMO, is the reel that started this all — and the reel that won the West.

Thanks for sharing, Mike!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Thanks Moe.  8) I am jealous.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mike1010

It's interesting to see the different take-apart mechanism, compared to the regular JigMasters, Squidders, and SurfMasters.  Thanks for posting this.

Darin Crofton

She's a Beaut, Mike, great find buddy!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

festus

Beautiful reel! I got one about a year ago cheap, but it had the chromed brass spool.  I found a parts reel later with a black aluminum spool.  Mo, those red spools are expensive, I could have bought 3 or 4 more Jigmasters for the price of what they were selling on ebay.

steelfish

really nice reel Mo.

I like how the dog is hold it by a C-clip, thats not a normal system on the regular Jigmaster
The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Mike you aren't sposed to let out secrets....

mo65

Quote from: thorhammer on February 07, 2019, 02:06:35 AM
Mike you aren't sposed to let out secrets....

Nope brother...I'm afraid I can't take credit for spillin' the beans. This thread was what inspired me to find a clean 500s for my collection. 8)

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23552.0

Gfish

Quote from: festus on February 06, 2019, 10:17:56 PM
Beautiful reel! I got one about a year ago cheap, but it had the chromed brass spool.  I found a parts reel later with a black aluminum spool.  Mo, those red spools are expensive, I could have bought 3 or 4 more Jigmasters for the price of what they were selling on ebay.
Festus, this's onea them spools I have that's extra. Don't recollect the condition underneath the line, but there's some slight rub marks on the flange edges. Your's for shipping cost($8-12 - ?).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

Nice reel, I wonder why they did not catch on well.   Good trick on using a small wrench to straighten a bent post, thanks. 

I picked up a never used 500S many years ago for cheep and have never used it.  I did take it apart to build a no takedown 501 when Ron said he did not like the takedown reels.  I used the handle side of the 500S and one of my 501's.   I also put together one at the same time that both sides came off.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

festus

Quote from: Gfish on February 07, 2019, 03:24:51 PM
Quote from: festus on February 06, 2019, 10:17:56 PM
Festus, this's onea them spools I have that's extra. Don't recollect the condition underneath the line, but there's some slight rub marks on the flange edges. Your's for shipping cost($8-12 - ?).
PM sent, brother, I appreciate it!

mo65

Quote from: mike1010 on February 06, 2019, 07:59:18 PM
It's interesting to see the different take-apart mechanism, compared to the regular JigMasters, Squidders, and SurfMasters.  Thanks for posting this.
Quote from: Keta on February 07, 2019, 05:54:04 PM
Nice reel, I wonder why they did not catch on well. Good trick on using a small wrench to straighten a bent post, thanks. I picked up a never used 500S many years ago for cheep and have never used it. I did take it apart to build a no takedown 501 when Ron said he did not like the takedown reels. I used the handle side of the 500S and one of my 501's. I also put together one at the same time that both sides came off.

The take apart feature on this 500S is much more robust than the old Squidder/Surfy/Jiggy type. Just because mine had a bent post isn't an indication of weakness...more like someone just carelessly tried to pry it open. Actually, the way it works, I can't see a side plate popping off under a load. Those posts fit into way bigger stronger slots than the regular type. It really does make ya wonder why it only lasted a few years...probably to expensive to produce. Those 500S non-handle side rings are no longer available...someone must have liked them! 8)

jkel

Wow that's sweet looking 500s!