Need help with 114H + TIB Frame

Started by Dan N., September 20, 2011, 12:09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan N.

I have a old 114H with brass spool and posts that I ordered an aluminum spool and TIB (T60) frame for.
The instructions with the TIB state, "Your Tiburon Reel Frame is designed to be installed into your Penn Reel using the stock Penn screws.

It doesn't look right to me. From the images attached, you can see that the "post screws" are extending through the new TIB frame such that the threading is exposed.

There are 16 screws that hold the side plates to the base and posts. The "base screws" (3 on each side) are shorter than the "post screws".
I made note of the position of the screws when I removed the side plates and made sure to put them back in the same positions.

Anyone know what (if anything) I did wrong?
Is it possible that my 114 is so old that the screws are longer than they are in the current model?
Am I suposed to order new screws and, if so, what do I order?

HELP!

Thanks in advance,

-Dan-
Qui Tacet Consentire - Silence gives consent

To a man that has only a hammer, the entire world looks like a nail - Abraham Maslow

akfish

The screws that go into the stand on the Senator are shorter than the screws that go into the posts -- and the screws on the left (non-handle) side are shorter than those on the right (handle) side. I suspect that if you move the screws around, there are some that you can use on the top and not stick out. And if that doesn't work, use your dremel to cut off a couple. BTW: You remembered to grease the screws, didn't you?
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

broadway

Ak is right... gotta switch some screws around.  If you have to, order the shorter screws that typically go in the reel seat from MysticParts.... that's what I did.
I love my tib frames!
Dom

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Dan N.

@akfish: Yes I did grease the screws. I did the leftand right plates seperately so I know I didn't mix them up. I'll try your suggestion and move them around a bit.
@broadway: I was thinking of ordering the reel seat screws, but I was concerned they might not be long enough to bit into the TIB itself. I'll try them and see.

Thank to the both of you for your quick response.

-Dan-

To a man that has only a hammer, the entire world looks like a nail - Abraham Maslow

Alto Mare

Just take a measurement , back out the longer screws and cut them, I've done it a few times before. If you don't have a dremel as Akfish suggested , you could  use a nice set of electrician pliers, they make a nice cut or use anything else that would do it. Also, I like to stroke the cut side of the screw on a flat file a few times. That reel looks great by the way, good luck with it. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Nice looking reel.  Glad to see you went "old-school".  I luv my Tib frame, too!
viurem lliures o morirem

Bryan Young

I would just cut them also.  I have a wire stripping tool that I can screw in the screws to the lengh that I want then snip.  easy peasy. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

i had thought that there were shorter screws in the reel so that you could move them around and avoid this problem. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I could have sworn that the Tib kits came with shorter screws for the top.  At least that was for the last one that I installed.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

I have seen shorter screws on a Tiburon, but only on a narrow frame, you'll never get the longer screw by the rod clamp bolts.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Dan, did this reel come with you on the Pacific Queen?

Dan N.

Hi Alto:

No, this is a side project. I'm wrapping three CalStar blanks I've had waiting for about 5 years!
One is intended to be my trolling rig and I plan to use the 114 with it.

I ordered Penn Senator screws of every length available from MysticParts.com (awsome site!), and the reel/TIB frame looks great now.
Now I just have to do is get off my butt and wrap these blanks. Fortunately, the Pacific Queen trip is fresh in my memory and giving me all kinds of motivation.

:-)

-Dan-

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Alto Mare

Glad you still have the motivation Dan, that's what it's all about ( unless you go broke or the wife gets fed up ;D ).Show us some pictures when you're all done with your project. Sal