penn 209 main gear??

Started by Hadge, September 20, 2011, 03:42:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hadge

Working on some penn 209's , some have brass main gears and one has a steel gear. The steel one has slots that go through the top half of the gear. There is actual a slot hole right through the gear. Has anyone seen these before?
For now I will grease up the drags with Calls to keep other grease and oil from getting into the drag. The reel worked ok with the gear as is, so I believe with the new drag washers it will be fine
???
Hadge

Norcal Pescador

If the reel isn't worked too hard the gear may be okay as far as strength. If you get a new main gear, replace the pinion also. I would replace the gears myself. I wouldn't be happy with a good hookup and lose the fish because my reel gave out. :(  Just make sure there is grease all over the steel gear - a medium coat on the teeth, drag grease covering the drag washer cavity and a light coat on all other surfaces to prevent rust.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

George4741

I have the same main gear on a 155 beachmaster and 200 surfmaster.  Both take the 6-155 drag washers (Penn's smallest).  Since the gear is steel, I don't worry about it.  With their small drag washers, these reels weren't made to take big bad fish, anyway.   

As long as the gear isn't weakened with corrosion, I think it will be ok.  As Rob says, if you replace the main gear, then replace the pinion as well.
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

yes, seen these before.  they won't be a problem. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Hadge

Thanks guys, I will cals grease up the drags and put the reel back in action.
If there are any troubles with the reel I will replace the gear.

Thanks Hadge
Hadge