ss gear sleeve for penn 9

Started by twopatch, September 21, 2011, 12:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twopatch

I installed Alan's sleeve's on my jig masters,and my squidders. And I love them.  I am in the process of looking for some #9's and or #10 penns.   Are the SS gear sleeves interchangable between the two models? Is there an option of fine thread?

alantani

sorry, no fine thread option, but they are interchangeable.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Hello twopatch. I personally don't believe that it's woth it for you to upgrade the 9 or the 10 with the stainless steel sleeve. I don't believe that those reels would generate enough pressure that would domage the stock sleeve, but....it's up to you.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

oops, sorry, yes, that is a good point.  you would never put enough drag on these reels to need a stainless steel gear sleeve.

twopatch

Thanks for the replys. I have a #9 and a #109 on the way. We will see how they look on the  inside. 

twopatch

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 25, 2011, 02:19:52 AM
Hello twopatch. I personally don't believe that it's woth it for you to upgrade the 9 or the 10 with the stainless steel sleeve. I don't believe that those reels would generate enough pressure that would domage the stock sleeve, but....it's up to you.
Yea who knows, If i like them enough,I might spool up one with braid,for a bottomfish rig.

twopatch

update,I got them in the mail yesterday.  After I stripped off the old line,and gave them a quick once over with a toothbrush and solvent. They are spotless. No green moldey looking stuff that All of my used penn's usally have.
I took the #9 apart today, I noticed everything is Tiny.  espicially the drag washers. I agree that the S.S. gear sleeve is way overkill.  After I get some new drag washers, I will be trolling,with the coolest,newest, 30+ year old reels. I will post a photo,after I am done.  :)

alantani

Alto Mare

Quote from: twopatch on September 30, 2011, 03:13:38 AM
update,I got them in the mail yesterday.  After I stripped off the old line,and gave them a quick once over with a toothbrush and solvent. They are spotless. No green moldey looking stuff that All of my used penn's usally have.
I took the #9 apart today, I noticed everything is Tiny.  espicially the drag washers. I agree that the S.S. gear sleeve is way overkill.  After I get some new drag washers, I will be trolling,with the coolest,newest, 30+ year old reels. I will post a photo,after I am done.  :)

It's nice to see someone else enjoying the older Penn reels. 
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.