Newell 220/229 or Torium14/16

Started by mangutzfish, September 21, 2011, 12:37:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mangutzfish

Hey fellas!

I haven't posted in a few months, but I'm back. I've had an awesome experience this year fishing. It has been my first season fishing at all. Now that I've gotten some experience, I feel I need to get some decent reels. I can never get a good enough answer, and everyone has their own opinion. Hopefully you guys can help. I'm looking for a mid-priced reel 15#-25#. Usually on the boats people tell me to look at what the deckhands are using (Newell). When I go to my local tackle shop, I find that they have a huge h**d-on for Shimano. They're both in a similar price range and I just want to get the best for my money. I don't want to have to spend twice. I'm sure you've had this discussion before. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks fellas,
Manny

wallacewt

before anybody can really help you have to answer a few ? 1st
1.budget=$
spin
star drag
lever drag,which one are you comfortable with.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mangutzfish

Good questions. My budget is about $150-$170. All I've used is star drag. And this season, I've consistantly gone fishing once every two weeks since May. Alot of local inshore stuff, a couple of overnights, and a tuna trip as well. Man, I love this sport!

wallacewt

ok,to buy a good reel at that price i would buy a 2nd hand star drag reel.i dont know of any in australia.
where do you live?
some of the guys on this site have 2nd hand reels.at least you would know they are in good order.
which one?patience,,i cant help because i dont own any star drag reels but someone will chime in good luck

Dominick

Hey Gutzy:  You might try the Penn GTI series.  Check out this link.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9.0  I own the 310 and 320 and use them for Halibut and Salmon.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mangutzfish

Hey Pescachaser,

That was a pretty cool thread.  And I have often wondered about the levelwinds.  My concern would be losing castability, which many people love about Newell, and losing the drag, like that of the Torium.  Dilemna, delemna, delemna...  Thanks guys.  I really appreciate your insight.

wallacewt

$170,star drag,no level wind,buy in usa only,most other places will jab you. you are getting there

sinkerswim

As requested by other responses. What type fishing are you looking to do? Where do you plan to fish? Fresh, inshore, offshore deep? Method? Jig, live bait, troll etc.? Line? Braid, mono, wire? These answers will help narrow your choices down.

Reels will not, and I stress not, be a one size fits all application. Most guys are tackle junkies and never bring just one reel to the fishing grounds. Mainly for the unexpected or unknown species that could pop up. Or the odd chance that something breaks.

When you venture out, look around see what the other guys are using. Ask a lot of questions. And, if possible, try to "borrow" what you can. Firsthand, in hand, use will be the best barometer.

That being said, used reels will generally save you some money. And, seeing that you are on this site. You would be able to get most from any reel you choose up to almost box new with a little work. Or as suggested, if you were to buy from this site. You'd be, in all liklihood, getting a used reel ready to go. Using the saved money to get another reel ;D

What I'd seek in a reel; that's easy. The one that I used last. It performed flawlessly, and after a freshwater rinse is ready to go again. Never had to break out reel number two all day.

My personal preference is, in no particular order: Construction material, machined aluminum. Drag capability, five to fifteen lbs. Drag style, star. Only because I can change the setting "on the fly". As opposed to lever which has to be pre set. Reliability, based on word of mouth by others. Or on the water reviews. And, lastly, definitely not leastly, user friendly. Such as, ease of operation, simple access for maintenance, customer support and parts availability.

After all that, I'll state that the Newell owners that I encounter bottom wreck fishing. Swear by their reels. For their lightweight construction, castability, and once upgraded to carbontex, drags. Seen those reels take their fair share of bottom dwellers. Couldn't get those guys to give their newells up for anything. A dyed in the wool group, for sure.

I may have to get me one of those. Bride willing ;)

Good luck in your search. Most importantly, catch 'em up and have fun. 

SoCalAngler

If your looking at the Torium's maybe you should take a look at Daiwa's BG Saltist reels also. I picked up a 20H and like it alot. Some shops push Shimano's stuff because there is a larger margin built into their gear, selling their stuff makes more money for the shop than others gear. I'm not trying to say this is the case here, Heck I have no idea where your looking at gear.

mangutzfish

Sinkerswim,

Very insightful. What I am looking for is a "go to" reel for 15#-20# inshore stuff. Something very reliable. Not so much that I'm going to beat the hell out of it, but something that'll take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.  Saltwater bass, small yellows, maybe even shallow rock fishing.

SocalAngler,

I've priced the Saltist and it's just a bit out of my range.  I have heard good things though.  As far as pushing Shimano, I wasn't aware that shops could make a little more selling the Shimano brand.  That sucks.  To someone who is new to the sport, it blows that you might get pushed into buying a product that is not necessarily better, but that the tackle shop might make more by selling a particular brand.  That's exactly why I come to you guys.  People that fish and are not trying to sell me something.  I understand we all have different opinions, but each one of you can stand behind your opinion because you've actually used this equipment.  Good looking out. Thanks again fellas!

conchydong

With the uncertain situation with Newell, I would go with the small Torium. I know alot of people prefer the Saltist but I find Shimano parts are easier to come by. At least where I live.
You can always upgrade the drag washers and pawl for about $20.00 if you desire.

alantani

20 Pound Reels!

One of the most common line weights used in Northern California is 20 pound test.  For inshore fishing on the day boats out of any local Norcal port, it's pretty much all you'll ever need.  Match it up any of these reels with a lightweight 8 foot stick and you've got a great little 20 pound outfit.  We're looking for a reel that will hold 200 yards of straight 20# monofilament.  Star drag or lever drag is fine, but no two speeds and no levelwinds for the sake of this discussion.  Just so we all get to start at the same point, we will clean out the bearings or bushings and then lube them with your lube of choice.  We will also upgrade the drags to greased carbon fiber.  That means that the only differences in our list of reels will be gear ratio, retrieve rate and price. 

All of the reels listed below will deliver an easy 5 pounds of drag, which represents a 25% drag setting for 20 pound mono. Only the discontinued Penns would have trouble delivering more than 8 pounds of drag. The more modern reels could easily be rigged with up to 400 yards of 50 pound spectra and a short topshot of 40 pound fluorocarbon. A typical drag setting for 40 pound fluorocarbon would be 12 to 14 pounds of drag. So, whether you are old school or new, these would be your choices for a 20 pound non-level wind single reel!

Accurate 400 BX Narrow - 225 yards of 20# mono, 4:1 gear ratio, 23 inches per crank ($409)

Avet SX - 220 yards of 20# mono, 5.3:1 gear ratio, 30 inches per crank ($159)

Daiwa Black Gold STTBG20H - 210 yards of 20# mono, 6.1:1 gear ratio, 35 inchest per crank ($179)

Daiwa Saltiga SA20 - 170 yards of 20# mono, 5.4:1 gear ratio, 35 inches per crank ($379)

Daiwa Saltiga SALD20HS - 210 yards of 20# mono, 7.3:1 gear ratio, 42 inches per crank ($409)

Daiwa Saltist Lever Drag Hyperspeed STTLD20HSH - 210 yards of 20# mono, 7.3:1 gear ratio, 42 inches per crank ($239)

Daiwa Saltist Lever Drag STTLD20H - 210 yards of 20# mono, 6.3:1 gear ratio, 36 inches per crank ($229)

Daiwa Seagate 20H - 210 yards of 20# mono, 6.1:1 gear ratio, 35 inches per crank ($149)

Daiwa Sealine SL20SH - 210 yards of 20# mono, 6.1:1 gear ratio, 35 inches per crank ($115)

Daiwa SL-X20SHA (disengaging spool) - 210 yards of 20# mono, 6.1:1 gear ratio, 35 inches per crank ($125)

Newell 220 - 200 yards of 20# mono, 5:1 gear ratio, 27 inches per crank ($150)

Penn Fathom 15 - 190 yards of 20# mono, 6.1:1 gear ratio, 28 inches per crank ($199)

Penn Jigmaster 501 (narrow 500) - 200 yards of 20# mono, 4:1 gear ratio, 27 inches per retrieve  (discontinued)

Penn Squall 15 - 190 yards of 20# mono, 6:1 gear ratio, 28 inches per crank ($149)

Penn Squidder 146 (narrow 140) - 220 yards of 20# mono, 3.3:1 gear ratio, 18 inches per crank (discontinued)

Penn Surfmaster 100 - 200 yards of 20# mono, 3:1 gear ratio, 16 inches per crank (discontinued)

Progear Classic Series 501 - 200 yards of 20# mono (approx), 6:1 gear ratio, 36 inches per crank (discontinued)

Shimano Charter Special with topless frame - 190 yards of 20# mono, 4.2:1 gear ratio, 23 inches per crank (Alan Tani conversion)

Shimano Torium 14 - 200 yards of 20# mono, 6.2:1 gear ratio, 36 inches per crank ($180)

Shimano Trinidad 14a - 200 yards of 20# mono, 6.3:1 gear ratio, 38 inches per crank ($470)

Shimano Trinidad 16na - 200 yards of 20# mono, 6.2: gear ratio, 46 inches per crank ($480)

Shimano Tyrnos 8 - 170 yards of 20# mono, 6:1 gear ratio, 37 inches per crank ($180)

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bucktail

I like my Torium 16.  I mostly use it for jigging stripers, but have also jigged tuna up to 60 lbs on it so far.  Do the Carbontex drag upgrade and the clicking anti-reverse http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=509.0 and you should be good to go. 8)
Just a jig-a-lo

redsetta

Great post Alan - excellent to have it all in one place.
Add in drag ratings and it's bound to become a 'go to' guide.
RE: Shimano, I wouldn't read too much into that.
They produce great reels across the range and I'm sure (in general) shops try to make reliable recommendations.
Everyone has their preferences, so it's all about horses for courses.
It's a great, evolving thread though - hope it helps Manny!
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer