09/19/2011 - Pacific Queen (1.5 day) trip out of Fisherman's Landing, San Diego

Started by Dan N., September 21, 2011, 03:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan N.

Hi Guys:

My Buddy and I went out on the Pacific Queen for a 1.5 day trip out of Fisherman's Landing in San Diego. There were 29 anglers on the boat.

Left the landing at 8:00pm and headed down the coast about 150 miles to target Tuna, Yellowtail and Dorado. It took us about 12 hours to get to the grounds. We stopped on some kelp paddies and boated about 40 Yellowtail. At just after noon, we spotted a large paddy with a flag on it (apparently another boat had done well and marked it for others).

As soon as the first baits hit the water, it was pandemonium. We had a wide open bite on Yellow Fin Tuna for the next 3 hours. There were occasional Dorago in the mix as well. The action was so furious that the deckhands were unable to keep up with the gaff calls. Passengers began gaffing for other passengers. The attached shot of the kill box should speak for itself. Glad I had just purchased some new boots.

My gear performed very well. I had taken the advice on this site to heart and installed new Carbon fiber drags in all my reels. The rest was standard advice...circle hooks, flourocarbon, good bait, etc. Truthfully, the bite was so furious that I considered throwing out a Freshwater Bass plug just to see if it would work.  ;D

In the end, we boated 140 Yellow Fin Tuna, 40 Yellowtail, and 13 Dorado. A fantastic trip. The boat was well run, captain and deckhands were helpful and friendly, the sea was flat calm for the entire trip, and the action was fantastic. What more can you ask for?

-Dan-
Qui Tacet Consentire - Silence gives consent

To a man that has only a hammer, the entire world looks like a nail - Abraham Maslow

Steve-O

Nice report, Dan! Ya gotta love a bloody deck!  ;D

More pics! More pics! Some rod and reel specifics would be great to hear about, also.

Thanks for sharing.

Steve-O

Dan N.

Hi Steve-O:

Action was so furious, that I didn't take many. I'll post more tomorrow.

Gear specifics:

I had 5 rigs with me...

1) Seeker 270 with a Daiwa 20H (50lb Braid and 20lb top shot)
2) Seeker 670L with a Daiwa 30H (50lb Braid and 25lb top shot)
3) Seeker 670 with a Daiwa 40 (30lb mono)
4) Seeker 670H with a Daiwa 50 (40lb mono)
5) "Old School" Fenwick PacificStick 1870 (Newell P235-F with 25lb mono)

I got most fish on the 30H rig. Two on "Old School" ;D
The Seekers are rods I wrapped myself. Kind of makes it more fun...don't ask me why.
I've had the "Old School" for over 25 years. Was nice to bring it out of storage for another go.

-Dan-

To a man that has only a hammer, the entire world looks like a nail - Abraham Maslow

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

Nice work Dan - looks like it was pandemonium alright!
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dan N.

Regarding Steve-O's request for "more pics, more pics"...

As I said I didn't get too many, but here are a few (none of me unfortunately).

The Mahi pic is by good friend Brad (long time Fishing Buddy). The boat got 13 Dorado, he got of of them.
The Yellowfin pic is a new friend we made on the boat (shows you the average size of the fish we were catching).
Deck pic shows the bow of the boat when they were laying out the catch for cleaning...gives you a feel for the "volume" of fish we got.
Final pic is the boat itself  (The Pacific Queen).

Enjoy!

-Dan-

Dan N.

Dave Bentley

Jeez, I don't know if I like the look of that.

Talk about providing ammunition for the greenies, tree huggers and PETA members world wide that want to ban the sport that I love so much, the blood and guts shown is not a pretty sight.

It's photo's like that and comments about how wonderful it is that cause all the restrictions, rules, catch limits and fisherie closures that we are starting to suffer in OZ.

I wouldn't want to associated with that day out.

"In the end, we boated 140 Yellow Fin Tuna, 40 Yellowtail, and 13 Dorado". What do 29 anglers do with all that fish.

Very disappointing to see it on such a fine web site!!!!!

Dave Bentley Perth Western Australia.
Only believe that which you know to be true.

alantani

in general, i have no objections to photos of fish caught, even large quantities, as long as the take is in accordance with local law and local standards.  and by local standards, their take might be considered low. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

I wholeheartedly agree Alan.
Anyone who's been on a commercial boat pulling nets knows recreational angling is of relatvely little consequence to stock and quota management.
In NZ, at least, some of our local restrictions and marine reserves had comprehensive involvement from keen fishos looking to preserve stocks for future generations - something I support unequivocally.
With regard to the 'blood and guts', there's an old saying about heat in the kitchen...
Cheers, Justin

Dan N.

Mr. Bentley:

While I respect your right to your own opinion, I must disagree with some of the points you've made...

>>It's photo's like that and comments about how wonderful it is that cause all the restrictions, rules, catch limits and fisherie closures that we are starting to suffer in OZ.
I don't think so. The "tree huggers" and PETA members that want to ban the sport don't need my photos from my trip to do it. They have plenty of ammo with films of the purse seiners catching entire schools while also killing dolphins to suit their purpose. Truthfully, groups like PETA don't want to just ban the sport of fishing, they want to ban the use of animals for any reason.

The fact is that this was my first deep sea trip in almost 7 years. I was out there with with my best friend. The sea was calm, the crew and other anglers were great, and we caught lots of fish. So yes, it was wonderful.

>> I wouldn't want to be associated with that day out.
I don't understand your objection. What is it we did that is so objectionable? We caught our limit of fish. Our limit. That is, we stopped fishing when we hit the very same "restrictions, rules, catch limits" that your post is complaining about. If you feel that limit is too high based on how many fish 29 people are allowed to keep, then you may wish to re-examine your objections to those very same, "restrictions, rules, catch limits".       

If your objection is primarily that I should not have posted the "kill box" photo...I will concede that the image is very graphic. In retrospect, I can see how some might find it objectionable. If you did, then please accept my apology. It was never my intention to offend anyone. However, I feel your statement that photos like mine are the reason why catch limits and restrictions are established is unfair and inaccurate.      

Finally...

>> "What do 29 anglers do with all that fish?"
For myself...I eat them. I can't speak for the others, but I suspect their answer is much the same.

-Dan-

Norcal Pescador

Who can righteously argue that staying within limits is wrong? If you think the limits are too generous, then catch and keep less. That is your right.

If you live by the rules, you are an honorable man.

Dan - I like your signature, "Silence gives consent". How true.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

This discussion could go on forever ( like politics). Dan and Dave both made their point whether right or wrong....lets move on. Happy fishing! A red T-shirt might come in handy next time to lower the heat  :-\  ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

broadway

As long as it was legit (and evidently it was)  I'm all for it! We recreational anglers don't do anything to deplete these fisheries, it's the draggers that do the damage.   As for the bloody photos, maybe next time you could figure out a way to get 29 anglers to clean the boat before you photograph ???
As for posting your photos on this website, I for one, appreciate seeing someone doing well at OUR craft instead of coming home skunked... way to stock the freezer Dan, wish I was there with ya!  These limits are made by people who do research and have the numbers so ya can't blame Dan.

PS- I throw back between 300 and 600 stripers per year on average and keep about 7 (and I take NO females) for family and neighbors, so don't think I slaughter everything in the ocean... I'm a catch and release kinda-guy, too. 

Sal's right on... let's leave it be, but I did have to throw in my two cents ;)
Dom