Which conventional for crab snaring

Started by Jkjhung, February 20, 2019, 07:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jkjhung

My penn battle has put up years of abuse on the sf beaches snaring crabs. It is time for me to upgrade, and I am looking to go conventional this time. A lot of guys recommend the penn 525mag for casting 8 and bait. Are there any other reels I should consider? Daiwa sl20sh?

Reel Newbie

Oooh, I'm looking for recommendations here too, at the moment using a pursuit 6000 off Pacifica. Just got a nice jigmaster and thinking of using that with a static mag for snares. Don't think my squidder is up for the task, casting upwards of a pound of lead and bait as far as towards the horizon. Also trying to see what line I should use on the conventionals, is 30 pound mono enough? Using 40 pound power pro on my reel tight now.

Jkjhung

Quote from: Reel Newbie on February 20, 2019, 07:49:14 PM
Oooh, I'm looking for recommendations here too, at the moment using a pursuit 6000 off Pacifica. Just got a nice jigmaster and thinking of using that with a static mag for snares. Don't think my squidder is up for the task, casting upwards of a pound of lead and bait as far as towards the horizon. Also trying to see what line I should use on the conventionals, is 30 pound mono enough? Using 40 pound power pro on my reel tight now.

We are on the same boat. I too have a squidder and jigmaster but but don't want to abuse them on the snares and sand. 30lb mono seems a little heavy. I'd imagine 20 or 25 would be enough.

thorhammer

Quote from: Reel Newbie on February 20, 2019, 07:49:14 PM

jiggy has new 20lb on it; you may wish to go 25. in either case put 15ft shock leader of 50-60lb mono for casting lead.

Rivverrat

I would be grateful is some one could explain what
" Crab Snaring" is... Jeff

Bryan Young

I think a jigmaster would be fine for crab snaring with 30# of line.  Casting 8-16 oz weights plus bait will take a toll on the rod more than the reel.  Out of curiosity, what rods are you casting with?

For me, casting a jigmaster, May max lead weight was 6oz plus bait. Anything highher I used a 113H. Now you could use a yellow tail special because line capacity is not so important.

Jeff, crab snares are a way to catch crab. See to give you an idea.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jkjhung

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 21, 2019, 05:33:05 AM
I think a jigmaster would be fine for crab snaring with 30# of line.  Casting 8-16 oz weights plus bait will take a toll on the rod more than the reel.  Out of curiosity, what rods are you casting with?

For me, casting a jigmaster, May max lead weight was 6oz plus bait. Anything highher I used a 113H. Now you could use a yellow tail special because line capacity is not so important.

Right now I'm using 11' heavy rods.  Old ugly stik and Garcia rods.  Nothing fancy for crabbing. 

Do you have any experience with the 525 mag or Daiwa sl-sh?

Shark Hunter

Sorry to but in, but I had no idea there was such a thing.
I can't tell you how many times my bait has been crabbed out.
I need to try this on the Blue crabs in Florida.
Then use them for bait. Bull reds love to eat them.
Can you buy a snare premade? At lest just the little box part.
It looks pretty intricate.
I would just upgrade to a higher quality spinner.
I have a battle 2 8000, but any big spinner I think would work better for casting.
Zebco Cabo or Boca come to mind.
If you are hell bent on a conventional, you can't go wrong with a 113H.
There are also the older Daiwa sealines that might come in handy here for their price point.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Quote from: Jkjhung on February 21, 2019, 05:47:35 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on February 21, 2019, 05:33:05 AM

Right now I'm using 11' heavy rods.  Old ugly stik and Garcia rods.  Nothing fancy for crabbing. 

Do you have any experience with the 525 mag or Daiwa sl-sh?
No experience with the 525. I think the slosh for casting weight greater than 6 oz would be too much for a slosh 20/30.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jkjhung

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 21, 2019, 06:04:47 AM
I have a battle 2 8000, but any big spinner I think would work better for casting.
There are also the older Daiwa sealines that might come in handy here for their price point.

Yes you can buy them premade. Check out the Crab Slayer Snare. I think it's the best design so far.

Casting 8 and bait and winching 8, bait, and crabs is pretty hard on spinning gear. I was using a battle 6k so I was a little under gunned.

Reel Newbie

Most people generally stay away from premade big box store snares, Danielsons, willapua , etc., atleast from my experiences. Most people buy from small tackle shops for around $10 or make their own. Here's a tutorial from a California pier fishing forum: https://www.pierfishing.com/msgboard/index.php?threads/snares.468/ .I think that crab snares are might not be allowed on the east coast, they're not even allowed in SoCal.

CapeFish

why use an old reel that swallows line between spool and frame like a jigmaster or squidder when there are so many others out there that does not have this problem? I was so glad when I got rid of mine. I picked up a Penn 535 for a bargain a while later and was super excited about it, after using it 3 times I got rid of it, same problem, hammer a cast and the slightest of loops that form it swallows the line. Penn, Daiwa, Shimano, Fin Nor etc have so many other options that are a pleasure to use.

Cor

Can't help thinking how that device would snare the bottom if you tried it somewhere other then on pristine sandy bottoms. :o

Places where I fish your hook, swivel and sinker gets stuck nearly every time.
Cornelis

conchydong

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 21, 2019, 06:04:47 AM

I think you would probably have to snap the claws off of a Blue crab to untangle them from the snares as they are a lot more aggressive than the crabs in the video. If you are using them for bait anyway then that wouldn't be a problem.
Personally, I have always had a hard time using Crabs and/or Lobsters for bait for a fish that I can't legally harvest (out of slot size). I'd rather eat the bait.

Jkjhung

Quote from: CapeFish on February 21, 2019, 10:39:14 AM
why use an old reel that swallows line between spool and frame like a jigmaster or squidder when there are so many others out there that does not have this problem? I was so glad when I got rid of mine. I picked up a Penn 535 for a bargain a while later and was super excited about it, after using it 3 times I got rid of it, same problem, hammer a cast and the slightest of loops that form it swallows the line. Penn, Daiwa, Shimano, Fin Nor etc have so many other options that are a pleasure to use.

Which newer reels would you recommend?