Dam Quick Super anti reverse problem...

Started by basenjib123, February 20, 2019, 10:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basenjib123

Hello, I got a 270 with an AR  problem.  The AR pin doesn't seem to want to pop into the round cut outs on the gear all of the time.  I have noticed if I loosen the sleeve for the collapsible handle the pin then engages and I have anti reverse again.  Seems by loosened that sleeve I get rid of some slop that is preventing that pin from engaging?  I can feel the pin trying to pop in but doesn't about half of the time.  It seems that the pin is ever so slightly too far from the gear when it tries to pop into the gear holes.  Hope this makes sense, Thanks..Joe.

foakes

Hi Joe —

Remove the handle and main gear assembly —

Punch out the pin that goes under the main gear and through the crankshaft —

Remove the main gear from the crankshaft —

Unscrew the shift lever on the exterior —

Remove the A/R pin & the spring —

Inspect both to see if any wear or a distorted spring —

If so, replace —

If no apparent issue, clean up all of the shaft, main gear, A/R pin, spring, and shift ball lever with lacquer thinner, or similar —

When reassembling — just stretch the spring a bit so that the A/R pin will have more positive contact with the eight A/R holes in the back of the main gear that are set at 45 degrees apart —

Light synthetic oil in the crankshaft sleeve & A/R pin hole —

If this doesn't take care of the issue — it will be something else fairly easy — let us know either way.

Likely just dried grease crud or a spring being interfered with —

This is assuuming that the reel has not been assembled with any parts backwards — unlikely, but worth a mention —

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

basenjib123

Thank Fred,  you always come through!   I will give it a shot this weekend.  I let you know how it goes.  Thanks again,  Joe

oldmanjoe

By any chance do you have this style anti reverse arm with the plastic silencer on it ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

Yes, I have those, Joe —

However, I am not sure what you are asking?...

The plastic red ball lever A/R sleeve cannot be used on a 270 Super.

It will hold the A/R pin slightly up from the eight gear holes.

The Super 275 and older Finessa 280 & 285 cannot use the silencer sleeve.

If that is what you have — that could be your issue with the A/R not operating —

I need more complete information as to what you have going on...or are trying to do —

Let us know...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

[quote author=foakes link=topic=27745.msg319865#msg319865 date=1550709986

The plastic red ball lever A/R sleeve cannot be used on a 270 Super.

It will hold the A/R pin slightly up from the eight gear holes

Best,

Fred
[/quote]
    I thought i saw 270 on the bay with a sleeve on the arm  and was just wondering if this was the one  , that would solve the problem .     Joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

basenjib123

No mine doesn't have the red sleeve on it.   Never saw a 270 that did actually.

basenjib123

Well tried everything that Fred suggested..no change.  Wondering if I'm missing a washer along the crank handle shaft?  Schematic shows a slotted washer and another washer...I only have the one shim washer..?

Alto Mare

You might need to replace the spring in the anti- reverse pin .
Sometimes it might work stretching it, but once it gets soft it will go right back as it was.
You are correct on the red sleeve, I have my share of 270's and none have it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oldmanjoe

No  ,  The washer is between the nut and the handle .
 Can you measure the gap between housing and gear ?   About .010 on the feeler Gage
  Do you have a lot of slop side to side movement ?
 The second picture i am measuring the bushing length and the assembled shaft / gear length    

foakes

Hi Joe —

Been down in town all day having my truck worked on — just returned.

I will send you (2) slotted crank washers — one is pretty thick, the other is half the thickness.

Also, will send a new A/R pin and spring.

We need to remember that these old Supers are 60 to 65 years old — and have been used in tough surf conditions — and maybe not lubed regularly.

Consequently, some parts may be worn.

It is unlikely that all eight of the holes on the inside of the main bronze gear are worn out — and DQ used a softer alloy for the A/R pin — on purpose.  A pin is less expensive to replace than a phosphor cut bronze main gear.

And Sal is correct — many times a spring can be restored for a while — or to test function — but a new one is generally better.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

basenjib123

Thanks Fred,  much appreciated.    Joe,  I am at work now but I will check that "slop" factor out later on,  I believe that I have more movement than that though,  thanks for posting.

basenjib123

I get about .030 slop on mine.  Those missing slotted washers wouldn't account for that though, would they?