New 3/0 Plates

Started by 2nakiller, February 23, 2019, 12:52:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2nakiller

Here's some of Tom's new 3/0 plates happily sitting aboard my Newell Tuna special frame.
assembly was nothing special, with one exception...

The plates only have Provision for the screws on one of the 2 mounting holes in the side bars, this won't be an issue with Full frames, but with the Newell Bars, unless you are careful, the bottom of the spacer bar can contact the spool, this got me for a minute, but once I figured out what was rubbing, I made the adjustment, locked everything in place, and it's good to go now, now just waiting for the revamped Double Dog Brigde for my 2nd set of Red Plates, and I'll put another one together!

steelfish

what an amazing color

what color is that plate?
The Baja Guy

2nakiller

This is the Purple although it looks more fuscia in the pic.

steelfish

dang !!

I might have to get one for my daugther
The Baja Guy

Darin Crofton

Looks great, beautiful reel man!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

RowdyW

How are you fasting the cross bars from moving out of alighment during use. It seems to me that you are sacrificing frame strength for looks. Probably be ok for a shelfie but not practical.            Rudy

CooldadE

Quote from: RowdyW on February 23, 2019, 06:25:44 AM
How are you fasting the cross bars from moving out of alighment during use. It seems to me that you are sacrificing frame strength for looks. Probably be ok for a shelfie but not practical.            Rudy

Here's a thought...
You could get some screws long enough to fully thread into the spacer bar with some to spare. Then thread them in and mark them flush with the spacer. Remove the screw and cut it 1/8" long, chuck it in a drill press and file the threads off to your mark. Drill some holes in sideplates only deep enough (not all the way through) for the new " threaded pins"  to hold the spacer in place and not pivot in use.  Thread the pins into the spacer and assemble .
I know the process is more detailed then my description...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

RowdyW

Cool, that still won't help the frame from twisting unless those "pins" are fastened securely to the frame. IMO it's a Rube Goldrerg assembly. Not even in the catogory of a frankinreel.

Swami805

The plates Bryan made for Newells have pretty much what Cool described for use with a stock Newell frame. There's holes in the plates that don't go thru and some small screws that fit into them that came with the kit. I'll post some pics if anyone is interested.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Swami805

Here's a picture of one of Bryan's plates, the screw and a newell bar. I had a set I put on a newell frame and it seemed to be pretty robust, nothing moved and looked like it would hold up just fine. Ended up using a narrow tiburon frame instead. Clever idea
Do what you can with that you have where you are

2nakiller

Quote from: RowdyW on February 23, 2019, 06:25:44 AM
Yep.. you seem to be right, but since I'm neither the designer nor manufacturer of the plates, just the dude who bought them, not much I can do... if I had realized the plates were not designed for use with Newell bars, or stock spacer bars for that matter, I wouldn't have purchased them.
fortunately the second set of plates are going on a Tib frame.

2nakiller

Quote from: Swami805 on February 23, 2019, 04:20:14 PM
Here's a picture of one of Bryan's plates, the screw and a newell bar. I had a set I put on a newell frame and it seemed to be pretty robust, nothing moved and looked like it would hold up just fine. Ended up using a narrow tiburon frame instead. Clever idea
This is a good solution, if only I had access to a mill, looks like I need to find a 3/0 frame in this width, or move on to shopping for another reel for my Ulula... :(