20 Pound Reels!

Started by alantani, September 23, 2011, 05:04:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

QuoteMakule:  This comment kind of reminds me of the times we would go trolling in the bars in Manhattan...

I'm old enough that it takes a while for me to get excited when I go bar trolling.  Had too many of those "teaser strikes".  These days, I'm more likely to be the one offering the teaser just to see what comes around.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

redsetta

Quotepesca your standing on the ceiling
my oz weight 66kg
my usa w      99kg
nz is diff;
justin nz w 111kg
justin usa w gk111

Nice one Wallace.  ;)

QuoteI would give it a 8+ out of 10...

It's a beauty Dominick.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

suitekids

Quote from: Pescachaser on February 05, 2012, 02:11:07 AM
Alan: Ack! you forgot my favorite Penn International 20.  This is a real 20lb reel :o.  It's a good thing God made rod holders.  I used to get arm weary waiting for my sinker to hit bottom in 50 feet of water ;D.  I'm the only guy I know that wears a harness fishing for Stripers in the bay with this reel. Dominick

Yeah Dom, but they don't make them any better nowadays than the old Penn 20, except maybe the 20T, serious small reel.

LTM

Alan and crew,

Im researching 20# reels for a futrue purchase (star or lever drag). Im not jigging w/the reel just bait fishing therefore no need for fast retrieve.  Of the 20# reels listed (sans Intnl 20), which reels (plural) do you see as the best values (build quaiity vs performance vs cost). I dont mind upgrading the reel some to get reliability and performance.  Im still kind of "stuck-on-stupid" in regards to 300 yard capacity on most (not all) of my reels and Ive noticed your parameters for these reels is 200 yrds; why??

I plan to use the reel on party-boats (3/4-3 day trips) and these reels get banged-up pretty tuff w/boat rash. I dont mind some boat rash on my reels but the local scene is abusive on reels. I hate it when someone puts there rusted $39 Big5 special with cheap flourescent blue llne in the rack banging the heck out of my saltigas, etc. (that's why I keep my reels covered in the rod holders till I need one and just pop off the cover and stuff in back pocket). The people on the overnite to multi-day trips are typically more considerate of gear than those on the short trips. 

Im tired and broke from spending $400 plus for reels (only when necessary ie Andros, etc); I would like to keep this in/near the $200 max range with upgrades if possible. This forum has shown me that a $150 Torium w/a few upgrades can compete EASILY with $400+ Trinidads (this is a classic example of my definition of value).

So, lets have at it!

Leo

Bryan Young

Hey Leo,

I wrote a response then deleted it because I though you answered your own question...but...

Mono or braid?  Presuming that you are posting your question here, I will presume you going to use mono.

Star Drag - Shimano Torium, TLD Star,
                  Okuma Cortez,
                  Daiwa Sealine SL-H
                  Abu 7000 series

Lever Drag - Shimano Charter Special T1000 with Tom's solid aluminum frame, Tyrnos 10
                    Okuma Solterra

Hope this helps.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

LTM

Hey Byan,

I hope Im not answering my own questions and posting them  ;D.  And yes "mono"; Im not one who puts braid on every reel (at least not yet).  Speaking of which; when do you Bryan use braid (other than increased line capacity and the ability to use different weight line) on your reels? And what criteria do you go by in choosing a reel for just mono vs a reel to use braid with?

Also Bryan, Im not a fan of high gear ratios for bait reels (ie Toriums etc) and really dont see a need for it. Am I missing something here?

Thanx Bryan for your quick and thourogh response,

Leo

Bryan Young

I use braid on all my reels for the fishing I do now.  I like the idea of feeling ever twitch of the fish.  I will be switching my trout gear over as soon as I use up the spools of 2# and 4# mono that is stored in the frig.  I think it will take me another 5 years before I switch those out to braid.

I really don't see a need for mono in the entire reel.  I've had braid on some of my reels for over 5 years now, a little less capacity over the years, but still no problems  The cost versus waste and time or re-spooling, and the longevity of braid had me convinced over 20 years ago when I went fishing in Japan and all of the stuff my friend were using was PE braided line.

Regarding the reels, unfortunately, there are not may new reels with lower gear ratios.  But if you consider the diameter of the new reels versus the ones of yester-years, they are a lot smaller.  so, let's say you compare a Penn 111 with a Pro Gear 255, which is almost half the diameter.  At full spool, you are probably pulling in twice amount of line than the Pro Gear 255 at full spool.  Therefore, if you want somewhat equivalent line per crank, the newer reels would have to up their gear ratios.  What I'm trying to say is just because the newer reels have higher gear rations, it doesn't mean that they are pulling more line in that your Penn 111 with lower gears.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

LTM

Bryan,

In regards to the braid-mono thing: Im kinda like you with mono in the frig. Id have mono in the frig except that space is taken up with a couple jars of whole baby octopus bait, CA glues for r/c stuff, tooooonss.... of batteries (li-on, primarys etc), and whats left of my pro grade 35mm film (lasts forever in the frig: before/after shooting).  Oooooh, and some room for ice cream and some food. Seriously though I have a lot of mono kept in a very cool place as well and really need to use some of it up due to time (not aging being kept in a very cool place).  Ive bitten the bullet on some of my reels and guess I'll get off my but and do the rest of them with braid.

In regards to gear ratios vs line retrieval vs spool diameters; thanks for reminding me of the spool diameters and line retrieval. I forgot about the spool diameters of these smaller new reels need the higher gear rations to retrieve "normal" amounts of line per handle turn.

Do you use braid on graphie spools (ie SLOSH, spinners) as well?

Thanx,

Leo

Bryan Young

I do have braid on a couple of reels that have graphite spools, with no problems thus  far...Hmm, where did those reels go?  Did I loan them out???

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

maybe you can add these 2 reels avet sx or mx...  :)

Bryan Young

You're right Mel.  I thought it was previously mentioned.

LTM

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 16, 2012, 05:11:01 PM
You're right Mel.  I thought it was previously mentioned.

yes it's on the original list by Mr. Tani except the mx...good luck Leo

Gaujo

Quote from: LTM on June 15, 2012, 05:59:09 PM
Alan and crew,

Im researching 20# reels for a futrue purchase (star or lever drag). Im not jigging w/the reel just bait fishing therefore no need for fast retrieve.  Of the 20# reels listed (sans Intnl 20), which reels (plural) do you see as the best values (build quaiity vs performance vs cost). I dont mind upgrading the reel some to get reliability and performance.  Im still kind of "stuck-on-stupid" in regards to 300 yard capacity on most (not all) of my reels and Ive noticed your parameters for these reels is 200 yrds; why??

I plan to use the reel on party-boats (3/4-3 day trips) and these reels get banged-up pretty tuff w/boat rash. I dont mind some boat rash on my reels but the local scene is abusive on reels. I hate it when someone puts there rusted $39 Big5 special with cheap flourescent blue llne in the rack banging the heck out of my saltigas, etc. (that's why I keep my reels covered in the rod holders till I need one and just pop off the cover and stuff in back pocket). The people on the overnite to multi-day trips are typically more considerate of gear than those on the short trips. 

Im tired and broke from spending $400 plus for reels (only when necessary ie Andros, etc); I would like to keep this in/near the $200 max range with upgrades if possible. This forum has shown me that a $150 Torium w/a few upgrades can compete EASILY with $400+ Trinidads (this is a classic example of my definition of value).

So, lets have at it!

Leo

U can get a intl 20 less than $200
Nothing but friends & fins on alantani.com

michaelc

Not on the list already...Shimano Talica 8 ..........comes with a 20lb mono cam. High end but will also fish 40-50lb.

Penn Fathom 12 or 15 would, in my opinion be the best $200 reel.

I really like my Tani(charter) Special mainly gets used for light gear trolling 10kg.

Omoto vs10 I use for lobbing live bait to dollies on 8kg.