Back to Alaska

Started by Steve-O, September 23, 2011, 01:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-O

I'm heading back up to one of my favorite places tomorrow. It's time to chase Cohos as they transition from the salt to freshwater in the rivers, streams and creeks on Prince of Wales Island in southeast AK. The gear we mostly use is spinning stuff however I always take my Abu G 6500 for casting big spoons across the rivers where the lighter spinning gear won't reach. This year I picked up an Okuma Citrix baitcaster to go along on the trip. I broke it down a few weeks ago (brand new) and found factory greased innards and a decent greased CF drag disc. I wiped it down and re-greased it with Teflon just to make sure and cast with it in the yard and local pond to get used to it. We all use GLoomis GL 2 and 3 rods in the 8'6" length and sling Mepps, Vibrax and Pixees.

When I return I'll post how the Citrix reel performed plus a report on the fishing. Right now the rain is coming down up there and we may experience "blown out" rivers the first day or two. We'll see soon enough.

yours truly with one of last year's Silvers. ;D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

DarkPaladin

Next time you come up, think about Valdez. We can meet up I go there all the time to fish.  I'm in Fairbanks, but it's a long beautiful drive. ))

Alto Mare

Go get'em Steve! Can't wait for your exciting report. No pressure, of course ;). Keep your head dry and have fun.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

akfish

I love to fish cohos too, and I don't want to rain on the parade but here's a fact to consider of while fishing: Of all the Pacific salmon species, the one least likely to survive catch and release is the coho. They are especially vulnerable in the first few days they enter freshwater, but they are the most vulnerable species when caught in saltwater too. Those days when I would catch 15 cohos and take home only one are gone.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Tennessee

I'm green with envy. I grew up outside Anchorage leaving for V.N in '69 but never returned. My high school classmate who only left to attended Chiropractic college returned to marry his H.S. sweetheart and has never left. We talk at Christmas and he tells me to remember it like it was. Lots of changes since the Good Friday earthquake. Pardon my rambling.

I always love hearing stories about Ak adventures. I remember many a coho weekend on the Kenai Peninsula. Get plenty of good pics and I'll sure be eager to hear how it went. I think it rains 364 days a year in S.E. Ak ;)

I just discovered the site and its probably going to be my favorite. Good Luck

These are a few I caught back near Hope on the Kenai Peninsula about 1962.  
I just love it when I catch something!

redsetta

Great photo Tennessee - that's some haul.
All the best, Justin
PS Welcome!
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Nice picture Tennessee, you must have been 20 years old there, that would bring you just about 70...still a young man. It's nice to see that you still have the passion. Welcome aboard! You will like it here. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Hey Steve-O:  Did anyone ever tell you that you do not have to stand or lie down in the water to take a picture of a fish? ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Steve-O

Domick, I guess I'm just being one with the fish..........or have fish for brains. Who knows?? ::)

Just got back....swamped at work, finished the stinky laundry tonight and started on the gear clean up. I should get to tearing down the Okuma Citrix in a day or so and do a post on it and my trip.

I love fresh fish!!!

redsetta

Cracker shot Steve-O - you're a legend...  ;)
Looking forward to the story.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Tennessee

Ahhhh Steve-O welcome back. How did you do??? Can't wait to see some pics and hear how the trip went. We used to take some of our catch to a local cannery and they would swap the fresh for canned or we would trade with the Indians for some salmon jerky,"squaw candy" it was called. The "squaw candy" was to die for but boy did it smell! I could eat a ton of it.  Welcome back.

Sal actually that would have been when I was a Sophomore so I'd have been 15 or 16 at that time.
I just love it when I catch something!

Alto Mare

Not bad at all for a 15 year old kid, Tennessee.

Another great shot Steve, you remind me a lot of my brother, he brings lemons when he comes out with me. He is a carpaccio-kind of guy.