Submit real reel drag numbers

Started by fishingjack, September 23, 2011, 10:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishingjack

Hi Alan,
I have read some of your threads about stated and actual drag numbers for fishing reels. Like me you seem to find many numbers are not achieved.

I've come across my fair share of reels with highly overstated figures. I really like when you rebuild reels and publish the actual drag ratings you got at strike and full. These are the most reliable because you only care about the numbers that can be used practically. eg. achieved with freespool for lever drag reels. You offer your insight on the components of the reel, such as if pushing the drag higher will likely destroy AR bearings.

So could we have this thread for fellow anglers to post the actual drag ratings they have achieved with their reels. Tested on a scales.

Consumers deserve to know the real numbers when choosing a reel.

So for example I bought an Ajiking Projigger (T-bar handle). Stated then on the website as 15kg max drag. It's written across all kinds of sites that sell this reel. From the tests I have performed with wet and with dry drag washers it can just about achieve 5kgs. A miserable 33% of the claims on the box.

This does make sense however as this reel is almost identical to an Avet SX. They claim 14lbs of drag at max. (6.35kgs)

Checking today the main website has now reduced the claim to 10kg.

Another good figure to print would be reel weight which seems to be understated by many manufacturers now as well.

-Jack

alantani

a worthy project. the worst offender was the claim from ambassaduer that the revo would deliver 24 pounds of drag.  one guy was field testing an early version of the reel and made that claim.  ambassaduer took that number without verification, and ran with it.  really left them with a black eye. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

fishingjack

yes I remember seeing the drag numbers on such a tiny reel and being stumped as to how it was possible  ???

mackereljoe

With only a few wraps of line in the spool, i can get over 20# in an Avet MXL; with full spool around the #5 mark, it start getting harder to crank.   Revo with #24 and Newells with their claimed #35 for the 5 series... must have been tested with almost empty spool.   A database with Alan's test result will be so cool. 

fishingjack

I suppose adding cals grease etc to drags may also slightly lower the max drag achieved but with the result of a better (smoother) quality of drag. Something extra to be considered.

kamuwela

i havent seen any drag loss from using cal's it protect's against salt damage and makes it smoother. i also have a shimano tiagra 50wlrs that will bottom out a 50 lb scale at strike. see the post in the shimano section.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: mackereljoe on September 25, 2011, 03:44:40 AM
..... must have been tested with almost empty spool.   A database with Alan's test result will be so cool. 

Okay, to have a somewhat level playing field to test max drag, a star drag reel should have a full spool and the star locked down hand-tight.  How would a lever drag be tested with so much variation depending on where the preset is set? ???  We could all test our own reels and send the data to Alan, so he can build a database with averages of everyone's findings. (Alan should have time to do this between 2 and 5 AM on alternating Thursdays. ;D ;D ) Or he might delegate the project to someone. :( :o :-\  Oops, bye! ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

fishingjack

Quote from: norcal pescador on September 26, 2011, 06:33:28 PM
Quote from: mackereljoe on September 25, 2011, 03:44:40 AM
..... must have been tested with almost empty spool.   A database with Alan's test result will be so cool. 

Okay, to have a somewhat level playing field to test max drag, a star drag reel should have a full spool and the star locked down hand-tight.  How would a lever drag be tested with so much variation depending on where the preset is set? ???  We could all test our own reels and send the data to Alan, so he can build a database with averages of everyone's findings. (Alan should have time to do this between 2 and 5 AM on alternating Thursdays. ;D ;D ) Or he might delegate the project to someone. :( :o :-\  Oops, bye! ;D

Good point Rob. A range or an average for the upper limit I suppose.

Alto Mare

Thanks for volunteering Rob....you're the man!  ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

hafnor

first up is me. daiwa saltiga sa20 (star drag) measured in at excactly 20#drag with 4/5 of line on the spool.
Jm pe4(lever drag) 42#drag with 4/5 of line on the spool, with over 30sec freespool
daiwa dogfight (spinning) with completely full spool 50#drag
van staal 100 vsb (spinning) 100 19#drag 3/5 of full spool

fishingjack

Quote from: hafnor on September 26, 2011, 11:55:44 PM
first up is me. daiwa saltiga sa20 (star drag) measured in at excactly 20#drag with 4/5 of line on the spool.
Jm pe4(lever drag) 42#drag with 4/5 of line on the spool, with over 30sec freespool

Hi Hafnor.
I looked at some JM's before but the lever seemed to get very stiff on some models when I increased the preset. Maybe there are good ones and bad ones? Does the lever feel very stiff on yours at 42lbs?

Whiteman

Does the drag rating given by manufacturers or even testers mean that much if the reel set up (eg size of handle, spool and general ergonomics) means that it's almost impossible to use the tested drag rating in a real life situation? And what about the matching of the reel to the power plant ie the rod?

I take drag ratings as an indication of what class of reel it is then search the web for reviews.

I could hang some weights off my rigs to get my ratings but the reality of having a large fish trying its best to get away tests so many factors beyond the drag rate of the reel.

A better thread for serious fishos would be along the lines of what fish have you caught or lost with what combos and what failed (and I'll bet the large percentage of answers are failed knots and leaders rather than out and out gear failures).

hafnor

Quote from: fishingjack on September 27, 2011, 04:09:32 PM
Quote from: hafnor on September 26, 2011, 11:55:44 PM

Hi Hafnor.
I looked at some JM's before but the lever seemed to get very stiff on some models when I increased the preset. Maybe there are good ones and bad ones? Does the lever feel very stiff on yours at 42lbs?

On the pe 4 JM reel the lever is pretty small so it is a bit hard to crank. This is the deal no matter what kind of lever drag you have. on my pe 8 42 pounds is much less problem since the reel has a longer lever and the reel is rated for 80 pounds at max. The lever gets hard to crank the further you reach max drag either way, I have greased the whole cam up good , including the lever washer but it is still tough to crank. I do not think you could get away from this