King Kandy for kings?

Started by gstours, February 27, 2019, 05:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

As mentioned earlier some information is added here on this plug.   It has been very effective for us up north trolling for winter kings.   The lures come In about 6-8 colors and types.
   The whole herring is shown and is about 6 inches long, hollow plastic, and very light weight,  the finish is very attractive and has great flash for visibility.   Next is a Cut Plug,  somewhat shorter, and is shaped like a cut plug.  Then they make a half size replica of the whole herring and it's not popular here for king salmon.
   The blue chrome is a good one,  has a scent, hook pocket, and is rigged with a trailer hook from the factory.   I change the siwash hook and retie the leader to about 6 feet, and add a size 1 or 1/0 thin treble as shown.   More soon.

gstours

The blue one shown is popular here but there is other colors that work too.

gstours

These plugs are flat on the sides and with the curve shape will roll over in a barrel roll like a supposedly dieing herring.  The water velocity will affect the size of loop and rpm of the lures.
  We generally troll 1-3 mph,  depending on the tide strength and direction.   
  The cut plug lures have a bevel and they spin over in a fairly tight and quicker rotation.   I have not had good luck with this plug for kings but I'm thinking about using them for silver/coho trolling as they seem to like faster flashing moving lures.   
The plug shown below is the Sardine,  it's similar to the Watermelon plug but has a little more blue on it like the blue chrome shown earlier.

gstours

The pink yarn pcs shown are just tied with an overhand knot above the siwash and trimmed after the hook is pushed into the pocket.  Various  Scents can be added to the yarn that replaces the tiny sponge they come with.   They have vent holes that allow them to fill up water in order to have the proper roll.
    We generally retie with a 6-8 ft leader of 40# test.   
Theplug shown below is a no sparkle blue color that has worked as well.    They make some glow painted ones,  I started with the green chrome and black chrome ones but now I'm partial to the blue colors.

Fishy247

Those things look sweet! Shoot, I wanna eat that!!
I'm gonna have to try one this year....

Dominick

Glad these work out Gary.  I'm waiting for David Hall to weigh in on whether these will work off of our coast.  We mostly use Salmon Killers and Crocodiles.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gman_WC

Very cool Gary. I like the look of these lures very much.
As we can only use one barbless hook here ocean fishing salmon in CA. I'm wondering about
rigging the Kandy to fish here and with a trailing hook from the side on a swivel, beyond the tail.
I'm not sure what that would do to the lures action?
What's the percentage of side lure hook to stinger hook ups you're getting?
Just being nosy.
I've been looking hard at both the Kandy as well as Dave's Super bait lures.
I need a few new toys to play with in 2019.  ;D

-gary

Walnut Creek, CA

Gobi King

Gary,

These roll when trolled, so can we attach them behind a dipsey diver with about 6 - 8 ft of leader material?

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

gstours

As I mentioned before the plug comes with about a 4/0 red steelhead trailer hooks.   We lost a lot of fish hits as strikes until the little red trailer was replaced with a treble as shown.
  It's my experience that the trailer hook is very important.  80% of our salmon are hooked with the back hook.
  Try to keep the back hook from touching the plug as it affects the spin, and balance possibly.  In California you May be allowed 2 hooks per angler?  Use a thin wire treble.
  It's my opinion that the fish strikes the hard plastic lure and spits it out asap.   It's not soft like what they are usually feeding on.   These fish never swallow it down,  just saying.

Fishy247

Unfortunately, we can't use treble hooks for salmon here in CA...I'm pretty sure that we can use the single trailer though. I believe it has to be hard tied within 4" of the first hook. I'll have to look at the regs for trolling, but I've seen a lot of guys using the second hook.

gstours

Oops 🙊 after re reading the question stating one hook cal regs.   The plug must be held in place on the leader as it slides up and down, it is held in place by the front siwash hook and fits snug in the pocket with the eye and yarn 🧶.   Just tie on the treble and cut off the siwash and make sure the cut off part doesn't chafe the leader somehow.   No big deal.   Give these things a try.   No flasher ok,  

Gobi King

MI - We can use trebles for salmon. There was a 3 hooks per line limit before not sure of the new regs here in MI.

Gary, Could you please help me find your original thread on these plugs, the slow rolling plugs will work great for MI kings.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Gman_WC

Gobi, This thread is just over a year old.
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=24163.0
I think this is what you were looking for.
Butt-man Gary can confirm.
-gary

Walnut Creek, CA

Dominick

Gary, why do you advocate "no flasher"?  Flashers work very well in Norcal.  As a matter of fact I have started using Flasher Man's spinning flashers.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.