Vintage Penn 3/0 drag

Started by Panama, September 24, 2011, 08:42:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panama

I came across an old Penn 3/0 with what looks like white plastic drag washers.  They each have different thickness.  Also the main gear seems smaller than other 3/0 or 112 reels I have seen.  In addition, with just enough tightening of the cross bar screws the rings come away from the side plates at the top of the reel.  FYI there is no top center cross bar. 
1- Can the drag washers be changed to maybe a 5+1 stack? (HT-100's/carbontex)
2- Is there a way to properly fit the rings in order to prevent separation from the sideplates?
3- Is there a diff main gear and pinion I can change to?
Anthony
Get on the water, Man!!!

alantani

the plastic side plates will have to be filed down so that the rings fit a little better.  it sounds like the drag washers are teflon.  a set of five of the #6-60 drag washers with metal washers should work with the stock main gear.  it's a common upgrade.  the main and pinion that you have now are really the only ones that will fit.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

Just to add to Alan's advice... remove your trim rings, and lay them down on a flat surface to see if the plates warped or the trim rings bent.  If it's the rings bend them back as best you can... if it's the sideplate you can file it, but with no top cross bar on the 3/0 I'm not sure it will seat properly.  File last obviously!
Dom