700 greenie handle removal

Started by joe k, March 03, 2019, 03:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe k

hello there again..i just picked up a penn 700 greenie that ive almost completely disassembled ..the only problem im having is removing the handle from main gear..any tips on getting this handle loose without doing any damage...reel is in grate shape..wanna keep it that way...everything else apart and cleaned ..ready to put back together...just cant get that handle off...any replys appreciated Joe

George6308

Try replacing the pinion gear and rotor cup. Hold the rotor cup from turning locking the main gear. Try turning the handle loose remember it's a left hand thread so turn it clock wise.  If still tight try heating the base of the handle with a heat gun and turn the handle assembly clock wise. The handle thread is 1/4-28 LH on the 712, 710, 704, & 700's.

mo65

Quote from: George6308 on March 03, 2019, 04:03:37 PM
Try replacing the pinion gear and rotor cup. Hold the rotor cup from turning locking the main gear. Try turning the handle loose remember it's a left hand thread so turn it clock wise. 

Exactly what I was thinking. I always remove the handle before pulling the rotor and pinion. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Yes,

As George & Mike have pointed out — the crank handle should come off first before anything — right after removing the spool — so the rotor will hold the worm drive pinion steady and firm.

However, sometimes on these old salt-spinners — the crank will not always remove as we expect...

In those cases, and I have been known to insert a little wedge of hardwood between the main gear teeth and frame.  And, it is always safer to remove the aluminum crank from the gear axle attachment part — then use a large handled screwdriver through the hole.  That way, in case of a really stuck or fused crank — the softer aluminum handle will not be bent or snapped off.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

harryk3616

slide the pinion back in, hold the flat part of the pinion where the nut goes on with a cresent wrench or any other wrench and un screw. harryk

joe k

believe me i did try to remove handle first thing..soaked with pb blaster  for an hour b4 continuing on..2nd attempt with heat gun a success..thanks to all..Joe

George6308

Joe you are very welcome this site is always here to help
700 is a heavy but fun reel. By the way yours is the second version.

joe k

thanks for info george..picked up this 700 and a penn 249 in nice shape for 25.00..for the pair...got a picture of first version or how  to tell apart..?...keep my eyes open

George6308

First generation has a cast green non folding handle and a die cast 43-700 crosswind arm. The rubber bail arm bumper is held in place by a spring and not a cup as on the later 704's.

Midway Tommy

That's quite an interesting heat gun!  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

joe k

use them guns for seaming rubber roofs..works wicked good..

Aiala

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

joe k

Aiala..thanks for the sight..saved it..

Frank

Quote from: Aiala on March 03, 2019, 09:55:14 PM
Quote from: joe k on March 03, 2019, 06:00:08 PM
...Got a picture of first version or how to tell apart?

http://www.scottsbt.com/catalog/store/images/pennparts/information/spinfishers/Stick%27s%20Reel%20World%20--%20PENN%20SPINFISHER%20MUSEUM.htm   :)

~A~

Thanks for posting that Aiala. I own a couple of 700's and have been over there looking for parts on several occasions. Never noticed that page. Very interesting.

Best,

Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

George6308

Took some photographs of my restored Penn 700. It is painted  the wrong shade of Penn green, the 700's were A darker shade from the factory.
Another part not showing is they used a Nice ball bearing. Nice's plant was across the street from Penn. You can see the cast 43-700 part and the spring holding the bail bumper.