XN Squidder on a Shimano Trevala

Started by ReelFishingProblems, March 03, 2019, 04:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

Hey all,
I just got my Shimano Trevala TVC-66M in the mail yesterday
A guy at work has one with an Avet SXJ on it and I really liked the action on it.
The XN squidder has the following so far:
Stock steel gear with chromed brass jack, yoke and bridge
SS sleeve from SmooothDrag
Stock brass dog (needs upgraded)
Ultimate Upgrade 5+1 drag system
Offset handle by Pro Challenger
Gomexus handle knob
(Looking at getting a handle from MaxxedOut)
Will hopefully find AccuPlates or Tom will make some in the future

Thanks for looking

fishhawk

Mean lean fighting machine! Substantial weight difference in end plates there. I have some with custom side plates n some with just custom bars and  frame n really unsure of which I like best!???

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: fishhawk on March 03, 2019, 05:28:07 PM
Mean lean fighting machine! Substantial weight difference in end plates there. I have some with custom side plates n some with just custom bars and  frame n really unsure of which I like best!???
That is good insight. I still want them for how good they look, but...
I'd love to get SS gears and double dogs, and make a mini-tank.
Nick

Gfish

Got the same rod. Very well designed. I've got the the P21XN(Jigmaster) Tib. frame and a Tib. spool for the HS model(longer spool shaft ends for ball bearings)on it. Casts really well for a straight conventional.
Also got the TVS 66MH(spinning version) in slightly heavier weight class. It hasn't faired as well, with some corrosion and one guide replacement.
Sometimes I wonder about the materials both Shimano & Diawa use, even though IMHO their design engineering is excellent.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Darin Crofton

Beautiful reel, Nick, that will be fun in the bay for sure!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

ReelFishingProblems

I'm thinking this will be a perfectly sized little kayak setup, and also for taking on headboard trips for grunt/mangrove snappers.

Darin, did you see that the Spanish mackerel came in, and the first king of the year was caught on the skyway?

Darin Crofton

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on March 04, 2019, 11:03:48 AM
I'm thinking this will be a perfectly sized little kayak setup, and also for taking on headboard trips for grunt/mangrove snappers.

Darin, did you see that the Spanish mackerel came in, and the first king of the year was caught on the skyway?
no I didn't, but I did just get my boat into a marina to the North a little ways, Skeleton Key Marina, it's between New Port Richey and Weeki Wachee
let me know your next couple of days off and we'll see if we can't make it work, we can go after some Mangos...

ReelFishingProblems

Darin,
That's a super generous offer. I head out to the Dominican saturday, but will be back the 16th.
I'd love to hook up and fish. Will send you a PM
Nick

Darin Crofton

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on March 05, 2019, 11:42:59 PM
Darin,
That's a super generous offer. I head out to the Dominican saturday, but will be back the 16th.
I'd love to hook up and fish. Will send you a PM
Nick
Sounds good, have a great trip!

kmstorm64

I have Trevela rod set up with a Shimano T-100G good little set up for Kayaking, and I have a Surfmaster 100 with another Trevela set up for GF's go to boat rod & reel for salmon and rockfish. Great Rod's for the price point IMHO. I look forward to putting my 146 Lefty on casting rod soon.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!